1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will You Make Him Famous?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by MadHatterJimmy, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Offline

MadHatterJimmy Member

Total Posts:
    2 people like this.
  2. Offline

Xalcen Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Total Posts:
    I am confused as to what exactly we are supposed to be debating on this one. Could you please pose a question or explain what it is we are debating?
  3. Offline

Adell The Androgynous Anonymous Hatter

Total Posts:
    He's trying to make the video viral and its up to us to debate ourselves whether we'll do his request or not...?
  4. Online

RomanHk t(^_^t)

Total Posts:
    ^ What she said. Though, it's really not a debate at all given that, if you click the link, he gets what he wants anyway. (Still, an argument can be made for whether or not it was to get you to share the link yourself.)

Firstly, in my opinion, being shady probably isn't the best way to gain support for your cause. Secondly, the entire thing is rather pointless because you're not going to get a government to act without genuine geopolitical interest. It only happened in Libya because France and the rest of Europe wanted to secure the oil sites. Yugoslavia took what, three years to mobilize and it was more to stabilize the region (hence EU and not US involvement initially) than anything else. The US and UN only got involved later because the Europeans asked to be bailed out. Look what happened with Ruanda or Liberia and the Ivory Coast more recently. Heck, all it would take to sink this is for someone to mention Somalia. (And even in that case which was highly motivated by public opinion, securing the horn was important because of traffic through the Suez canal.)

So yeah, this isn't an issue people vote on so it's not going to bear much fruit. Besides, the NATO countries, who are your best bet to be sympathetic, already have Afghanistan to deal with and Iran occupying most of their immediate attention.
    1 people like this.
  5. Offline

Sunreon brain overload, reboot

Total Posts:
    Not gonna lie, Jimmy.

Thirty minutes is way too much of my time to take on a video that you linked with no description.

I might be convinced to take like, thirty SECONDS. But even that is too much probably.

The internet doesn't like clicking on things that they don't know what they are or who posted the link. I had to actually look up Kony 2012 to figure out what this even was. (It's a viral video campaign trying to up visibility/awareness about a militaristic group leader in Uganda cause they want him arrested for war crimes)

It doesn't really seem like the topic of the video itself is something that would make a good debate. In which case you're just trying to further a viral campaign with unwitting clicks.
    2 people like this.
  6. Offline

Xalcen Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Total Posts:
    That's exactly my point though. I am not sure this is the proper category for it given, as you said, it's not really a debate at all. Truthfully Media would probably be a better place for this thread.
  7. Offline

selectric Member

Total Posts:
    I found something about this video while searching about it:

6 people like this.
  8. Offline

Vanity Nah nah nah

Total Posts:
    I haven't read all about the whole issue yet. All I really know is this:

why kony 2012 is bad

snippet:
    Firstly, I would like to question your timing of this KONY 2012 crusade in Uganda when most of the violence from Joseph Kony and the LRA (The Lord’s Resistance Army) has subsided in Uganda in the past 5 years. The LRA has moved onto neighboring countries like the DRC and Sudan. Why are you not urging action in the countries he is currently in? Why are you worried about Kony all of a sudden when Ugandans are not at this present moment?
    This grossly illogical timing and statements on your website such as “Click here to buy your KONY 2012 products” makes me believe that the timing has more to do with your commercial interests than humanitarian interests. With the upcoming U.S. presidential elections and the waning interest in Invisible Children, it seems to be perfect timing to start a crusade. I also must add at this point how much it personally disgusts me the way in which you have commercialized a conflict in which thousands of people have died.
    2 people like this.
  9. Online

RomanHk t(^_^t)

Total Posts:
    Just the phrasing of this is disgusting.
    2 people like this.
  10. Offline

Dun Dun

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    I definitely won't be supporting KONY 2012. No, thank you.

Do I think there's an issue worth raising awareness for here? Yes. I think there are a few, actually. There's the obvious one, the issue of non-profit organizations needing to be researched, and the fact that more people need to be willing to examine the media before jumping on bandwagons (there's no reason why my Facebook news feed should have been bombarded with Kony stuff a couple days ago-- especially since I can guarantee that more than half of my friends posting about this didn't understand what they were putting out there).
    1 people like this.
  11. Offline

MadHatterJimmy Member

Total Posts:
    And people said there was nothing to debate about after I put this link in here.
    This was merely a suggestion for people to see how it would go. People automatically look at the sad story that is very much there. How Kony is a man that must be brought to justice. Do we donate to a possibly corrupt Charity? No. But Maybe we should look at doing things for ourselves. Its proven that the power of a united voice is far greater then people think. They have managed to actually make change happen. Does that make them bad people? That is the key question I ask most of you
  12. Online

RomanHk t(^_^t)

Total Posts:
    What group of people are you talking about specifically? The Invisible Children people? If that's the case then, yes, I would consider them bad people based on what selectric posted. I'm biased though; I've always found it distasteful when people dramatize in a documentary. I always feel as if their goal isn't to help the subject of it, but to win some film-making award for themselves for bringing attention to such a "insert adjective of choice" issue.
  13. Offline

Ruffian Banned

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    I got like seventeen minutes in. That main guy sounds like a douche. I'm just going on voice, here.

Reading all this stuff, it sounds like he actually is a douche, so yay spidey senses.
    1 people like this.
  14. Offline

Maccabee surely, we have perished sleeping, and walk hell.

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Yes, I totally agree. I'm the same.

I really enjoy politics and human rights (particularly African, considering that I'm part African), but I absolutely love how on facebook, I'll be posting things about people travelling to Kenya and Somalia to see how the poor there live, etc, and no one cares (a few of them even said that they don't care about Africa). But all of a sudden, they care about Africa with this KONY video being shared all over. It's like that meme: "Watches a 30 min video.... becomes a social activist". I don't really want to be pointing fingers or be pessimistic, but I just needed to get that out as I found it hypocritical on their parts. :/ I just get the feeling that everyone is jumping on the bandwagon and even for some, it's an ego trip ("Look at me, I'm so informed and knowledgeable about problems in other parts of the world").
    3 people like this.
  15. Offline

SeaJunky A devoted man causes fear in his opposition

Total Posts:
    http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/427422_10150666488209940_572364939_9044890_1891011675_n.jpg

A photo that is worth checking, these are the founders of the Invisible Children. While I don't disagree that the case is worth attention and the man deserves to be brought to justice. This particular group isn't the way to do it nor should anyone support them. Also http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=12429 this is Charity Navigator rating of the group. With an efficiency of $0.02 per dollar they aren't helping that much the cause...
    4 people like this.
  16. Online

RomanHk t(^_^t)

Total Posts:
    Dang Ash, your douche radar is amazing.
  17. Offline

Ruffian Banned

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    It's a gift. It's a calling. /bow
    1 people like this.