1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trayvon Martin

Discussion in 'Media' started by Darkfire, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Offline

Darkfire Literally Voldemort

Total Posts:
    MAJOR UPDATES: New information is out. Apparently this isn't as clear cut as most had thought. Witness testimonies are out, and I'm honestly inclined to now believe Zimmerman. He claims he was punched in the nose and taken down to the ground by Trayvon, who proceeded to slam his head on the pavement. Apparently, Zimmerman had a bloody nose, a wet back, and the back of his head was bleeding. Also, many other witness reports here. And now I'm furious that I can't unsign petitions on change.org after being led by the nose by the media's spin.

1 people like this.
  2. Offline

gargoylegas Member

Total Posts:
    I don't know what's more infuriating:

The trigger-happy cop-wannabe that's still walking around a free man, or the sheer incompetency of the police department that made it so. Zimmerman was ARMED, whereas that boy had nothing on him but iced tea and a pack of SKITTLES. And Zimmerman has the nerve to cry self-defense? Really?
    1 people like this.
  3. Offline

Suicide Blonde not all those who wander are lost.

Total Posts:
    This is horrible. I signed the petition, for what it's worth.
    1 people like this.
  4. Offline

Cambryn ..hotter than reality by far...

Total Posts:
    ..horrifying and tragic. That poor boy. It makes your heart ache and clench, doesn't it, in this sick sort of way.
  5. Offline

Viscount Rhi-Rhi Rhi-Rhi

Total Posts:
    Reading about this whole case made me cry. I couldn't finish listening to the clips. @__@ It's so unbelievably sick and yet, sadly, doesn't surprise me that police dropped the ball. :\

Signed the petition. I hope this monster gets brought to justice.
  6. Offline

Frosted Shadows Frosty

Total Posts:
    Next to the raven that is like a writing desk
    Sick. Sick and wrong. I signed the petition as well.
  7. Offline

Pippin's Socks Fool of a Took! Hobbits don't wear socks.

• Skin Fiend
    • Terrifying Templater
    • Emerging Artist
    • 'D Contributor
    • Community Challenger
    • Community Devoted
    • All-rounder
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    You don't always arrest someone before you can make the charges stick. Media pressure leads to rushed investigations that frequently lead to people getting off when they'd otherwise be convicted. I'd rather everyone back off and give the case a chance of actually ending in a conviction ... because with all the attention it's getting, I can't see anyone gathering enough evidence to prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt by the time this gets forced into court.

As for the audio track, well, I personally have no idea who is screaming on it. Do I think it's Trayvon? Yes. Can I prove that beyond a reasonable doubt? No, I can't, and I think it might take some time for people who know how to do that to do so.

Of course, maybe this is coming from me firmly believing that media pressure is the reason the Casey Anthony case ended the way it did, and that no one will ever know whether or not she actually did it because 1) it couldn't be proven as quickly as they were forced to move the case and 2) everyone's sure it's her because of that and so if someone else did it we're not looking for them. Either way a murderer goes free because of media pressure.
    3 people like this.
  8. Offline

Darkfire Literally Voldemort

Total Posts:
    I feel like a fool. Major updates in the first post. Old post quoted for posterity.
    1 people like this.
  9. Offline

• Skin Fiend
    • Terrifying Templater
    • Emerging Artist
    • 'D Contributor
    • Community Challenger
    • Community Devoted
    • All-rounder
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Yeah, I hate media spin.
  10. Offline

Dodo unbowed, unbent, unbroken

• Novice Reviewer
    Total Posts:
    Had a discussion about this in my journalism class, and there is some belief that these were self-induced injuries done after the fact.

The problem with this case is not media spin, it's the fact that the media didn't really know or care about it until it went viral, which leaves a huge gap in the reporting and investigative process here. This story only caught on because of bloggers - specifically black bloggers - taking this case to heart and demanding more media presence for it. The news orgs obliged, but they're still piecing together the story themselves.

As much as this case upsets me, I think people - both media writers and consumers - need to take a step back and consider it for what it is. This sort of thing happens all the time in cases like this one. This is one incident. The police isn't perfect, journalism isn't perfect, people aren't perfect.

For anybody interested, there are some great pieces at poynter.org about this case and the reporting being done on it. One is by Kelly McBride (linked here) and another by Mallary Jean Tenore (linked here). Both lean more on the side of journalism isn't doing it right, and kind of try to nudge them in the right direction of how to do it better, but it's a great resource to go to understand the problems reporters face trying to cover a story that is so hotly considered.
  11. Offline

• Skin Fiend
    • Terrifying Templater
    • Emerging Artist
    • 'D Contributor
    • Community Challenger
    • Community Devoted
    • All-rounder
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    George Zimmerman was charged with second degree murder. It only took 40 days, and that's actually a very reasonable amount of time to bring charges against someone.
    1 people like this.
  12. Offline

Kajouka Thunder Rumbling, Castles Crumbling

• Radical RPer
    • 'D Contributor
    • Community Challenger
    • Community Devoted
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    It's why I waited. I wish people would wait for the facts, but instead they take cases like this and spin it into a huge race war that is only going to make race relations worse instead of better. Kathleen (who half the time I don't agree with) says it way better than me. Let the facts comes out first. My favorite part was this:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/opinion/our-appallingness-and-the-trayvon-martin-case-d24qbue-145815005.html

[/left][/left][/left]
    1 people like this.
  13. Offline

Lindisrose Sassy Black Pascal

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    45 days, actually, but finally there's more movement.

I just want to elaborate a little, the reason that people, specifically black people were so furious, was because
    A: No media attention until they were scooped/shamed by the black blogsphere:
    B: The Sheriff of Sanford, not some paper pusher, not some gossip, SAID the case was closed and there would be no arrests / further investigation. This is the head of the police in that city basically saying a Dead black teenager's life doesn't mean a thing.
    C: That in 2012 we had to get a special prosecutor and the freaking attorney general into a southern state to make sure justice was truly served.

People are upset because 2012 should not feel like 1955, for anybody. and because it seemed for a minute that 45 day or 445 days could pass and no arrest would be made, people were upset because they were afraid that this boy's life was going to be marked as less valuable than another teenager of a different hue.
  14. Offline

ShadowedSin Bloody Bloody Bloody, Potatoes!

Total Posts:
    So a white girl gets off after being charged with the murder of her own kid causes mayhem. And we have to watch people run around with their heads cut off on a black teen. I love Amurika.