1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roleplaying Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Roleplay Talk' started by brontide, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Offline

brontide the illegitimate dovahkiin

Total Posts:
    Far be it for me to point fingers, but I have been doing this a long time and people are constantly doing things in rp that just rub me the wrong way. Let's start from the top:

1) Refusal to diversify characters/plots - This has to be my number one pet peeve. More specifically it bothers me when I see things like .... rpers who refuse to play anything other than male characters, rpers who refuse to play anything other than male slash, rpers who refuse to play anything other than dramatically angsty plots, and the list goes on and on. Get. some. variety. I understand that people discover what they like and then want to keep doing it, but aren't creative people generally a people who like to broaden their horizons? Limiting ourselves to a box is exactly what I wouldn't expect us to do.

2) "RP Royalty" - No you did not invent rp. I will not treat you like you did. Unless you were sitting on the banks of the Nile scribbling Egyptian hieroglyphics onto a freaking papyrus scroll with a lake reed as the creation of literature as we know it began dawning around the world you have a claim to the invention of NOTHING connected to what we do. Stop harassing other people because you feel like they 'stole' your idea for a small, Midwestern high school rp. You also didn't invent small towns. You didn't invent the Midwest. You didn't invent high school. Get over yourself. I put that title in quotes because I can't take it seriously. Literally the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of in my life.

3) Cliques - Mentioning this is almost cliche because the rping community has made it so. Since that is the case I won't complain about it any further. Everyone has experienced this enough to know what bothers me about it anyway.

4) Passionless RP - Maybe this is just something I've experienced too often, but I hate it when other rpers are flaccid about plotting. There's a sense of 'Well, I'm here so tell me an idea and I'll tell you whether I'll do it or not'. That's not collaboration. That's laziness. Suggest weird stuff! Have an idea about how to make things better! Don't just lay there like a dead fish waiting for an amazing new plot to come your way. If you do it like that you'll never get anything you really want.

Getting that off my chest felt surprisingly good. >> Anyone else have a little piece of their soul die every time they see an rper do a specific thing?
    Agent Coulson, Kohana, Liddy and 14 others like this.
  2. Offline

usagituskino321 Member

Total Posts:
    I can definitely agree with the refusal to diversify characters. @@ I had an experience with a roleplayer who would not play anything but homosexual male characters. They would have about 8 to 15 characters at any given time and every single one would be a homosexual male.

The person hated heterosexual pairings and although some of their male characters were listed as 'bisexual' they were purely homosexual and the person knew it because they had no intention of pairing them up with a female, ever.

I had never experienced such a thing until I came across this person and it became a huge pet peeve of mine. So you are a fangirl for boyxboy pairings. That doesn't mean that you have to make an arsenal of homosexual males and then try to turn the entire male population gay with you (which this person did --- they would specifically target straight males and try to force their character on them).

:mad:

Also, a side-note. I don't have any issues with homosexuals. I play a gay male myself. I just don't 'fangirl' over it and go to the extremes said person did.
  3. Offline

Akhenaten thus the heart will break, yet brokenly live on

Total Posts:
    Oh no, you have unleashed my inner beast. I've seen this before too, not so much the forcing heterosexual men into gay relationships part you mentioned, :-/ and sometimes I get the vibe that they're fetishising (or whatever) gay men. Never mind that men of other sexual orientations can fall in love with other men. I've also seen RPers only play gay men so that they would end up in gay romances, or 'even better' gay smut threads - which neither of them are bad, it's just when I see it it's for the sake of it because their gay men always end up as promiscuous and sleeping with all of the other gay men in the site or seem desperate, there's no development whatsoever. They enjoy it, yes, but it's also highly insulting. I don't care about romance or smut plots, I don't regularly do it, but when I see people roleplaying gay characters, it's always fetishising and portraying them like they're from some bad yaoi show. I wish they would be portrayed as people rather than be defined solely by their sexuality (unless there's something going on there and can be made into a plot). /endofminirant

Anyways, people who refuse to diversify and broaden their horizons aren't always that bad because sometimes they're writing what they know best and that's fine (especially if they're good at it) - for me, personally, it would be boring but there are certain sorts of characters and plot types that I tend to write a lot and I ressurect ideas like no other but they're never completely the same. So I have nothing against it but if they're outright refusing to play other sorts of people, change things up a bit, and have the dumbest explanation then I would think it's bad that they're not bringing diversity to their character, plots, or whatever else - if they enjoy that then that's their perogative. Creative people can be doing the same genre, same character, same themes over and over again - it's just their new twists to them that counts, or so I think.

The only thing that I really dislike is: 'Passionless RP' (because it's the same with many other things besides RPing alone) mainly because I believe fervently that it takes two to tango, not one. So admins doing all the work and having to hold their members' hands or one person always coming up with ideas because the other person 'can't think of anything right now' is just aggravating. It throws more work on the other person. I agree with you, if someone wants an amazing plot, they should go out there and get it rather than waiting. No one's going to give you a silver platter, miracles won't happen because you have to create that silver platter and make the miracles happen.

I think there are other threads like this, about 'Pet Peeves' I mean? I don't know, I can be wrong.
  4. Offline

Chekhov's gun we're not animals, we live in a society!

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    I agree with the listless plotters thing. When I plot, I put a lot of energy and enthusiasm in it. When I get back 'yeah, sure, I guess.' I'm like... 'RAAAAGE'.

Also attention-seekers, I completely people who think everything is about their characters... Get over it, guys. Your characters are not the star of the show or whatever, and I don't believe in stars in RP.
    iMAD, Beautoxica, Liddy and 9 others like this.
  5. Offline

sellaphix formerly dinn

• Community Challenger
    Total Posts:
    Threads that begin with someone sitting and reading. Please no. If you keep doing this, I'm going to start beginning threads with my character taking a crap. :)

Is that an open thread you want to join? :p
  6. Offline

Maccabee surely, we have perished sleeping, and walk hell.

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    I really dislike holding people's hands in that I am constantly telling them when to reply to a thread (even when it should be clear to them if they've been following it - if they're busy, that's different but all the time?) or they keep waiting for me to tell them what to do and write. I'm really easy to please, so they don't have to do that.

Also, when people try to thrust relationships that I don't want onto my characters (I like romance but only if it makes sense) or take my immature, out-of-character jokes way too seriously (like, make a thread of it).

YES PLEASE. I would love a thread like that. Not even joking.
    Liddy, Lielac, Bex and 7 others like this.
  7. Offline

sanhima Member

Total Posts:
    My pet peeves, in no particular order:

People who demand a post 'right now!': I'm not sure about anyone else here, but I work. I know some go to school, work, have a life outside of RP. I happen to work where I can get to the sites I'm on and post without being blocked by the web filter. Sometimes I get busy and I can't post the very second after someone else. Or I may have to wait until after I get home to do it.

RP Royalty: Oh, I've had my fair share of this and witnessed some absolutely bizarre situations where people have gone ballistic. Over an idea that they claimed exclusivity on. I've also had people PM me on ideas that I've had and claimed that either I stole it from them or I stole it from a TV show, book, manga, anime series, etc. At which point I have to sit while my mind boggles at the number of RP sites based on TV shows themselves. Then I realize that I shouldn't engage the crazy. There's a reason why I like the ignore function on forums and why I like the block function on e-mail.

Passionless RP: I admit, I have been on both ends of this. As the person who is coming up with the ideas and the one who has sat there and said 'I can't think of anything at the moment.' One thing I'd like to put up for consideration is that sometimes, it does happen. Bear in mind, I don't do it all the time. I like bouncing ideas, but if the person I'm bouncing them off of doesn't put their input in, then I start to not give a care. Which puts me in the 'I don't have any ideas' mood.
    Liddy, Dromund Kaas, ktqueen and 6 others like this.
  8. Offline

Spitfire landsquid

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Characters that exist only for the sex. :I
    Characters that are obviously made to poach a niche/plot that someone else has.

As for the diversifying and Jareth's rant - I've seen the same thing happen with female characters. I knew someone who literally made this saucy, sexy, skanky character and could not accept that this homosexual character was not only a gay man, but had zero interest in a romantic relationship. Or that my asexual, not at all romantically minded character who is somewhat freaked out by intimacy is not interested in banging. But yeah, I totally get the feeling that having a gay character/gay smut/gay relationships only has become a huge "chic" thing, and not just among roleplayers but pretty much all media/younger culture more recently. Rule 34 irl I guess?

Also, the idea with gay characters that they have to be emasculated, or that a non-straight relationship must have a "guy" and a "girl". No. :I
    Agent Coulson, Liddy, Link! and 3 others like this.
  9. Offline

Moone run: caffeine.exe

• University Professor
    • University Collegiate
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Pet Peeves:

1. Oh my god our characters just HAVE to get together because our play-bys are dating IRL and they just look so cuuuute as a couple! Excuse me while I tear my hair out and bang my head on the keyboard. This irks me so much that I have made gagging sounds at the very idea. I don't care HOW cute they are together in real life, I am not going to acquiesce to you just because of this. If they don't mesh, would never mesh and your character's concept would hold no interest for mine, then go away and fangirl/guy somewhere as far away from me as possible.

2. The lackluster plot. Like @sellaphix said, if your thread starts out with you sitting beneath a tree and reading EVERY single time you start a thread, I am going to have my character start a fight with you by calling you a bookworm and constantly teasing you about it. Give me something to work with in a thread besides just 'let's hang out at the mall and talk about boys/girls. *yawns and grabs a sammich while reading those kinds of posts* And yes, those characters that exist just for the sex threads annoy me as well. If I wanted to role-play just for the sake of getting my rocks off, I would join an adult site that was geared towards that and since the last thing on MY mind while role-playing is sex, this part isn't going to happen.

3. One-dimensional characters. The ones who never expand outwards past their base personality. They exist just to exist it would seem and their favorite color is clear and their favorite smell is oxygen. They are always going to be the same way no matter what the situation and are about as wooden as Keanu Reeves with their emotions. Just.. just stop it already! Do SOMETHING with them or let me be the one who kills them please?

4. The always angsty/b****y/sl***y/bad arsed girl who lives to party and just can't get over herself or the things that have caused her so much angst. I've seen this with male characters too, but it seems to be more of a female character trait. I'm sorry that mommy and daddy might have been too harsh with you as a kid and took away your Ferrari, your iPhone, iPad and grounded you from being able to go to that kick-arse party on Saturday night. I'm sorry that you are too pathetic to get over such trivial things.

5. I want to role-play this person with this person but idk what they would be doing or how they would even meet so maybe you can think of something? Okay... if you have no clue how to go about this, then what makes you think that I do? Have you even read my character's bio? Have you even aid attention to any of the threads they've been in to see what sort of personality they have or how they act around certain types? I'm not here to hold your hand and tell you how a thread should be started or how the thread should continue and along what vein it should continue on since I'm playing it by ear so to speak, keeping an eye on the tone of the thread, my surroundings and every little nuance just to see where I can take it. But it takes the collaboration of both parties to make the thread work.

//end rant
  10. Offline

Ruffian Banned

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    1. people who can't do anything/are constantly stricken with self doubt and need tons of encouragement to come out of their shell and just write some goddamn posts. Just... how are you so freaking helpless?

[IMG]

2. people who try to follow my example of not doing character exposition in their narrative (my characters are mysterious mofos) and then ruin it by telling me what their characters are thinking or feeling in IM. And then try and lead me into responding in kind so they get some meta-insight into my character. NOPE

[IMG]

3. people who try and probe me for my character's potential reactions to things that haven't happened yet in order to get the outcome they want

STOP

IT

NO

[IMG]

I AM NOT PLAYING YOUR GAMES MOFO. I DO WHAT I WANT

4. people who shroud their characters in mystery and then in like their first five posts detail their whole tragic past. It really ruins the impact of it, like seriously.

[IMG]

t h e . e n d
    SpindriftSecret, Dun, Link! and 16 others like this.
  11. Offline

Red Making the unmentionables mentionable.

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    People who ship by play by. For epic real-time reaction, see avatar.
  12. Offline

xXLunarMoonXx Member

Total Posts:
    1. Characters that go OOC… it’s really irritating. Like you read on their profile that they are shy and such… and then bam you role play with them… and they are outgoing… it’s like… when did this happen???

2. Characters who read your characters mind………. This one drives me nuts. XD You could seriously write in the post, in BLUNT FORM. “He was lying, and there was no possible way that anyone could figure that out because he did it flawlessly” and in the next post… they would STILL write… “She knew RIGHT away that he was lying.” And 95% they don’t even give proper reason as to why they figured out… they were lying…. Same goes with reading their minds... when they feel a certain way inside BUT are not showing it on the outside... and you make that clear... and the other persons character... STILL figures it out!

3. The ENDLESS RP of pointless actions. I don’t know if this bothers anyone else… but when the post is like…….. HUGE. And the character says like… 10 different things! It gives your character no time whatsoever to react properly, it’s like.

Their character:

“I really like the weather today…”

“The last place I lived was really warm too.”

“Did you know my father used to own a farm?”

“It was so pretty there and he had a huge field of sunflowers! I used to play in there all the time.”

“But then the whole place caught on fire… and exploded… so yeah…”

“But anyways! So how have you been lately?”

My character:
    ………………………………....... *Cannot react properly to any of their conversation OR comment on half of it because if they do…. Then it’d look something like this*

“It was so pretty there and he had a huge field of sunflowers! I used to play in there all the time.” -Them

“Oh, really? I actually used to own my own farm. It was the weirdest colors pink and yellow… but it was the only place I could afford.” - My Character

“But then the whole place caught on fire… and exploded… so yeah…” -Them

“But anyways! So how have you been lately?” -Them

“… *COUGHS* …” -My Character

CONCLUSON: FAILURE. XD

4. Characters..... that don't react to anything!!!! I've seen this in shows before too! NOTHING phases them! They are just MR. or MISS STONE FACE FOREVER!

5. I'm also not a fan of people whose characters have no idea or reason... why they are in the thread in the first place... It looks something like this: "HE HAD NO IDEA WHY HE WAS HERE... WHAT WAS HE DOING IN THIS PLACE???" It's like if your character would never be in the forgotten forest.. THEN WHY POST THEM IN THERE?

6. Characters who control everything! Example: Winning every single fight! And never faltering! It's especially annoying if your own characters is actually good in the field of... let's say archery... and it says in their profile... and then the other character... is magically amazing at it too OTL and it doesn't ever mention it anywhere in their profile... they just ARE... cause that's a thing.

And… that’s all I can… think of right now! XD;; If I think of more I will be sure to add them!
  13. Offline

Chekhov's gun we're not animals, we live in a society!

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Hhgjhghj. Yes. It's even worse when they dialogue about their tragic past. It's like, 'REALLY? REALLY??'

I always have my characters get weirded out when they do that. Like 'whoah, buddy, TMI.'
    sailthesky, Sharpiefan, slant and 4 others like this.
  14. Offline

Viscount Rhi-Rhi Rhi-Rhi

Total Posts:
    On the flip side, I hate the idea that playing femme guys, straight, gay, or otherwise, is wrong, and that femme men are just "chicks with dicks". Yay, misogyny, homophobia, and transphobia all in one neat bundle! =__=

But yeah, trying to force binary gender roles into relationships irks me. Not even most straight relationships follow "traditional" gender roles. Blurgh.
    Dun, Link!, slant and 9 others like this.
  15. Offline

usagituskino321 Member

Total Posts:
    One of the other pet peeves of mine is the same that some others have listed already; really high up on my list is when the person I am roleplaying with has their character use OOC information to their advantage. I guess one way of saying it is "Mind Reading". But, it's really just the member giving their own character information that they haven't obtained or is not, in any way, in-character.

I have actually had this problem a lot with people I've roleplayed with. :( Their characters always seem to know the innermost feelings of mine even when they are not displayed or spoken aloud. It is really irritating and playing with people like that makes me want to just edit out all of my characters thoughts and feelings so that they have nothing to go by.
    Kassondra B. and xXLunarMoonXx like this.
  16. Offline

fionnoula FRUIT FRIENDS!

Total Posts:
    One of my major pet peeves is when people are really obviously gunning for romance plots with whoever will take their character. Before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm not against romance plots as a whole, I have quite a few of them with various characters, so I'm fine with them. What does annoy me is when it's a players main focus coming into a game, but they don't want a well developed, interesting plot, they just want anything, as long as it's romance/sex related.

Another would be players who form plots and get really involved, but never actually post, or just post in phone or IMing sections of a game. Related to that would be players picking up wanted characters and not playing them, but not giving them up, either. I suppose that the summary would be... people applying for characters that they don't write properly, particularly if they keep hold of them. :p

I probably have quite a few more, but a final one which occurs to me now, is people who reply to plotting threads without offering an actual plot, which then puts all the burden of plotting onto the other player.

I'll likely think of more once I've hit post....
  17. Offline

Spitfire landsquid

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    It's not wrong, it's just when people decide that this is the only way it can be. I remember someone posted a discussion between them and someone else about "being as british as possible" when she was like "Oh yeaah well I wanna be the chick in the relationship, but I want an actual man".

._.

.__________.

wat.
  18. Offline

Archaic Cyborg Temple Guardian

Total Posts:
    After reading through the replies here- I've realized that my ownresponse will be duplicating some peeves, but hey- the more the merrier!

Peeves, in no particular order:

Having to hold my partner's hand: whether or not I'm flat-out asked "how can my character reply..?", it bothers me. A lot. Telling them what to do, how their character can respond: it's not my character. I may have no idea what makes him/her/it tick. You wanted to play It. You have an app! Why can't you figure out what he/she'll do, in this scenario?

RP takes two to tango. This covers the aforementioned hand-holding throughout the RP itself, as well as plotting/researching/musing. I rather keep plotting (relationships and crises and all the rest) to an absolute minimum, but still. I'm not giving you a laundry list of historical websites for you to use. I'm not starting each thread. I'm not making the first move IC, regardless of what that move is. I can't have my character always 'initiate' a conversation with yours- don't be a wallflower, a damsel in distress who needs some kind of crisis to happen, before they're able to speak to mine- albeit awkwardly!

The SL can't progress if only one of us is doing all the work. You were interested in the sl, you approached me.. why is it that you can't do anything on your own, now? D: You know how to use Google, right?

Bad-Ass Action Heroes: The character who always comes out on top in any situation- flowing cape, triumphant smirk on their face, the decapitated head of their enemy held aloft in their hand as they get ready to quote an awesome one-liner. Uses sarcasm at every opportunity. Always has to fight, and always has to win. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF STOP IT YOU DO NOT LOOK COOL YOU ARE NOT BIZARRO BATMAN

The Rebellious Princess: The party-lover, the brat. She loves getting her own way, and always does- with tantrums and hissy fits! :D Always has a whinge about something or someone, breaks the rules, yet isn't reprimanded.

Femme/Girly-Boys: The old days of anime/manga RP spring to mind, but I still come across non-anime RPs where this.. happens. Whether they're 18yo or 40, it doesn't make a difference. Do. Not. Play. Blokes.. as whimpering, prepubescent schoolgirls who blush and giggle.

Pity-Parties: the emotional character with a tragic!childhood, who uses most threads to waffle on about how hard a life they have. In their character's head, it's all me, me, me! I need sympathy hugs! Do it now!

The usual: mind-readers with no actual telepathic powers, god-modders, gladiator/bezerker/FIGHT ALL THE THINGS, damsels in distress!opening scenes, emo characters, "I'm affected by nothing. :| I need constant love and attention before I'll say something. Before I withdraw into my turtle shell again.", characters with hilarious contradictions- i.e, He is a nymphomaniac but he's scared of intimacy and approaching other people.

Players who can't grasp the idea that hey, I have a life off the computer, I have other interests and priorities: I can't live at the computer 24/7, ready for tagging. Let me sign off without hearing a whiny BUUTTTT WHHHYYYY CAN'T YOU TELL YOUR FRIENDS/FAMILY/DOG TO GO AWAY?? YOU'RE HERE FOR ME! I WANT TO PLAY! HOW DARE YOU GO ________, I THOUGHT THIS RP WAS _______, ETC ETC.
    MagicalGirl and slant like this.
  19. Online

Desertpuma Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional

Total Posts:
    The other word for this is Metagaming. It is an epidemically bad thing. ... The truly bad thing about it in forum gaming is that everything is written out for them so they can see it and then take the time to write a response, unlike a Live Action game where sometimes there is no real time to think up the response or to actually see what someone else is thinking. (Although it was hysterical to see a vampire character who had a psychological compulsion to self-narrate everything he did like a Raymond Chandler novel during a Live Action -- you game to see moments like that happen, especially in a Live Action situation.)

Archaic Cyborg and I are on the same page about pretty much everything. I'm actually really getting tired of the Rebellious Princess with the genius IQ syndrome too. I do not need to see someone trying to play Natalie Portman doing an impression of Paris Hilton. Just avoid it, please.

Being told in the CBox that unless your character is going to be gay, then they will not be RPed with. This was not on a gay themed board in anyway but on a X-Men superhero site. It was part of the catalyst that caused an exodus.

As to the Bad Ass Action Heroes, if they are one-dimensional asskickers with no substance outside of combat, then that is a problem. In a tabletop or Live Action game, as a Gamemaster, you make it a point to put them in a social situation to see how they react and target those weaknesses they have. This is certainly more difficult in forum gaming outside of a Narrator system. You have no way to control or direct the plot so they can get free rein. If it is that important to be Rambo or the combat monkey, go play a video game like Evercrack or WoW where you get to kill stuff all the time. Hell, go play the board game Last Night on Earth. It's a zombie-apocalypse board game. Have a blast but don't be one-dimensional on a freeform forum game as the combat monkey. It is kind of self-defeating.
  20. Offline

January Member

Total Posts:
    When someone matches your post paragraph to paragraph.

Like, say your opening post in the thread is four paragraphs long. Just as an example, say the first paragraph is a little exposition putting things into context, the second and third paragraph introduce your character into the scene and describe their actions there, and then the fourth paragraph is the 'hook' of action/dialogue directly addressing the other player's character and drawing them in.

When the other player responds, instead of starting where your post ended - as I think is the proper thing to do, to avoid post-splicing - every paragraph of their post corresponds to the paragraph of yours. It's like their exposition is in response to your exposition. If your character is thinking about their day at work as a policewoman, their character is thinking about how they have never been interested in a career in law enforcement. If your character is in a restaurant and you mention that they are a vegetarian, they talk about how much their character loves meat. It's just bizarre.

It's kind of like mind-reading/meta-gaming, except with the added problem that these posts make it incredibly hard to advance the thread. In my experience, the RPers who tend to do this will respond in only the most cursory way to whatever action/dialogue you throw at them, and never introduce any themselves. And if it was in the last paragraph of your post, it's always in the last paragraph of theirs.