1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stormcrown BTM affiliates

Role Playing Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Roleplay Talk' started by randijones, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Offline

randijones Member

Total Posts:
    I have been role playing for 5 years now, and have just realized that I have quite a few pet peeves when it comes to the hobby:

1. It bugs me when I'm doing a one-on-one thread, and then the person I'm threading with will go ahead and have my character do or say something. I'm just like okay... this is my character. Just wait and have me play him/her. Don't do it for me.

2. I'm a pretty literate role player, supplying 500-600 words per post, and I've noticed that people I'm threading with don't read all of it because they tend to miss vital things in my post.

3. I'm an admin at a site and it's a mature site, so I get bugged when members flip out because things get sexual or the "F bomb" was dropped once in a post.

That's it for me as of right now lol so, does anyone have any pet peeves themselves?
  2. Offline

G r a v e Brick by boring Brick

Total Posts:
    1. It bugs me when I'm doing a one-on-one thread, and then the person I'm threading with will go ahead and have my character do or say something. I'm just like okay... this is my character. Just wait and have me play him/her. Don't do it for me.

If I'm not mistaken, that seems like a Mode to me. I'd have told them to delete their post and repost again or it's void and you're done. That's one of the pet peeves I have as well. Drives me nuts.

I also don't like that people won't read my whole post. It's like.. 'seriously, if you're not going to RP right and read my stuff, then we're done here.' I always look for a challenge for role plays. I want to be able to RP with someone who can keep up with me, or someone I can keep up with. I'm not the best at it, but I do rather well with what I'm given in return.

My peeves:

1. Text talk (this is in chat rooms) It really makes me go insane. I go cross-eyed trying to read the stuff.

2. Giving less experienced players a chance, even after they've said they will do their best and..... then they only throw one liners at me.

3. Character Separation. I've come across a lot of people who are supposedly "experienced" but can't seem to comprehend the difference between In Character and Out of Character. They bring OOC drama into the IC role play just because they're having an issue with the person behind another character. Major pet peeve, I just want to throat punch people for it.
  3. Offline

Pippin's Socks Fool of a Took! Hobbits don't wear socks.

• Skin Fiend
    • Terrifying Templater
    • Emerging Artist
    • 'D Contributor
    • Community Challenger
    • Community Devoted
    • All-rounder
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    My biggest one is quantity. I cannot stand it when people equate quantity to quality, and assume that I really want to read their long posts. I don't. I'm most comfortable in the 3-5 paragraph range, but can go longer or shorter ... but I always get annoyed when people give me significantly longer or shorter posts than I've been giving them, especially when large chunks of those long posts are unnecessary filler or those short posts give me nothing to reply to.
  4. Offline

WOOKIE COOKIE Member

Total Posts:
    hmm pet peeves, good question! for me pet peeves as an admin are:

1. when new members join up, go through the hassle of making an entirely new character, fill out the application, sort out their plot pages, post a face claim and then... fall off the face off the earth only to be removed in the next activity check before they have any in character posts to their name.

2. when i as the admin get squeezed out of the out of character chat box because my members are gushing about their new plots so much i can't get a word in edge ways about... ANYTHING.

3. when you try and explain why you can't accept an idea or application for whatever reason. you tread lightly and yet they still either ignore you, leave or fly off the handle and eat your face... i mean wtf, i'm trying to help so people don't hate your character?!?!

as far as member peeves go for me it's:

1. people who's character stops being the person they applied with. i mean if i'm rping with a really nasty piece of work then i don't expect them to just suddenly roll over and let me scratch their tummy for them do i?!

2. when you give me absolutely nothing to react to. i mean did your character even breath in that last post? they certaintly didn't utter a peep... stops the conversation and eventually the rp dead.

3. i write boys, i nearly always write boys (though having said that at the moment my boys are out numbered by one) but i don't remember signing a contract that says they have to marry/be loved by/ want to have babies with your female character. i know love plots are nice to have but please, let me be free! especially if my blokes a complete ass!!!

4. we're ooc friends, we have a life beyond our rpgs but as soon as we hit the game you have to have a plot with every single one of my characters even if it doesn't fit with their general personalities. what's even more annoying is if you wanna change a big part of a character i requested for my character to something that completely doesn't work and because you're my actual friend i feel like i can't say no... bah humbug!
  5. Offline

Emma Just kiss you morons!

Total Posts:
    1. People who get annoyed by my powerplaying. I like making your character do things, and I like it when you make my character do stuff. It's natural. Let it happen ^^

2. Quantity whores. I will write a one liner if I want to and you will like it or leave. There is nothing wrong with writing a one liner, and there is nothing wrong with writing four pages. Write what you want, let me write what I want and let's focus on roleplaying, shall we?

3. Not understanding how paragraphs work. Paragraphs are not meant to be some specific length. They're not meant to be consistently 14 lines long, or 200 words. They're based on the content. If you're writing about spiders and then you stop writing about spiders and start writing about puppies, change paragraph. I do not want to read your entire post without breaks. If you're unsure about how to use paragraphs...try reading a book. They have them.

4. Metagaming. Oooooh this one is the worst. When I am writing with someone, I want their character to know what mine has shown them and nothing more. Knowing things that your character cannot possibly know - and what's more, acting upon those things - is just awful.
  6. Offline

Perfect Circle Just call me MegaMan X

• Community Devoted
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    This.

Another one of my pet peeves is when people sign up, don't bother to even start an application, and lurk the forums for weeks on end. Really? If you didn't want to RP why did you register in the first place? o_O
  7. Offline

thatswhatstannissaid flawless~

Total Posts:
    Ugh currently my biggest pet peeve is people that will not shut up about how awesome/bad/slutty/etc their character is. Honestly, if I think they're that cool I'll tell you. Stop fishing for compliments.
  8. Offline

Eveykins Derpaherp.

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Wait until you hear about my guy who can fire laserbeams and lightning bolts out of his arse muffin(<--BEST CENSOR EVER? LOL), then you'll change your mind.

But really, [THIS]

Also;

RP's that drag and go nowhere. Bonus points if the person you're RPing with refuses to take any openings you give for progression, no matter how blunt and obvious.

People who roleplay purely for fights.

Blatant rip-off's.

Power-playing, major or minor. It just runs out of control eventually. Give an inch and people will take a mile.

There's more, but I'd be listing allll day. These are big ones.
  9. Offline

randijones Member

Total Posts:
    Holy crap! That's a lot of stuff that I just so happen to agree with! Quantity is a huge thing for me! But I must add one more thing!

New pet peeve: I just realized that I do not like it when people join with either a group of IC buds or IC love interests. They tend to push away other characters and seem to have a group of their own that no one else is allowed to join. Nothing peeves me off worse than that especially when I'm an admin because I feel like they're taking over the site that I made.
  10. Offline

randijones Member

Total Posts:
    I totally hate that! I mean at least say that you're leaving instead of having the admins and members sitting around thinking "Okay, where are you, dude?".

Another thing is when people don't that they're leaving, or post in the hiatus forum. I hate it when I have members who are on every day, posting everyday, and then poof without a word for 3+ weeks. I've had some do that and stay gone, and then have others come back and ask why their account is deleted.
  11. Offline

Yarhar Member

Total Posts:
    I have so many...

1. I think my top pet peeve of all of them is grammar. I hate it when people RP and don't use even the basics of grammar. Capitalize the first letter in a sentence, punctuation, all that good stuff. I'm not saying it has to be perfect, we all make mistakes or don't know the exact way to word something with correct punctuation. All I'm asking for is the basics. I also hate it when people have multiple speakers and don't make a new paragraph when a new person is talking. It makes the paragraph look muddled and sometimes I get lost within' the text.

2. When a new member comes in, makes a character, and then tries to turn the tide of the entire site plot just for the sake of their character. There's someone on one of the sites I moderate right now and they've joined every thread possible to inform other RPers characters that theirs is the most important part of their survival or something. Even if their ability could hardly help anyone at all.

3. When member's ask questions that are located in the rules or blatantly disregard them. When member's don't know the rules, it makes me feel like they haven't read them at all. Instead of asking, they could at least check the rules section to see if their question could be answered there before they start asking questions.

4. One of my biggest, necroing. I feel like I'm going to explode every time I see someone do it. If there's a thread that ended three months ago, don't post in there. Just because it's towards the top of the page, doesn't mean it's active. Then when I have to tell a member not to do so they want to throw out an excuse of, "You know I never check the dates!" No, I don't know you don't check the dates, I don't see through your eyes. And you know what would be a good idea? Check the dates!

Repeat offenders are the worse. I mean, do they really think that excuse is supposed to make it okay? And so you know, my definition of necroing is posting in a thread that hasn't been replied to for more than three weeks.
  12. Offline

Kajouka Thunder Rumbling, Castles Crumbling

• Radical RPer
    • 'D Contributor
    • Community Challenger
    • Community Devoted
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Ugh, me too. I'd prefer sometimes a shorter post that I could reply to, than something long and drawn out and full of fluff that is hard to read.

My biggest pet peeve? Repeating my post in yours. "When characterA said 'quotemylines' Character B felt like 'insert some crap'"

Oh, and I hate paragraph to paragraph replying. Like, she wrote four paragraphs, so I will write exactly four paragraphs each one a response to the matching paragraph. It feels so unnatural to me. Especially when again a lot of it is repeating what the previous character did.
  13. Offline

Doom Domo That kid with a baseball bat

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    My personal "favourites"....
    1. Lazy/inactive/"witchy" admins. Do I need to say more? They drive me up the wall and make me quit/disappear from sites incredibly fast.
    2. Excessively long word counts... 400? Sure I can do that. Anything more? *click red x*
    3. People who refuse to use their eyes to answer simple questions.
    4. People who argue with admins over things that are clearly wrong with their characters.
    5. Cliques.
    Also...
    Agreed completely! Like seriously, capitalizing properly or even SPELLING correctly is not hard. Typo? Sure I can deal with that, but the basic tenets of English grammar? *shoots self* It's those bad people that make me want to change my major BACK to English so I can teach people proper grammar. Screw that literature aspect, it's all about grammar for me.

Same here! I've had great plots fall through because these people do this and it saddens me greatly. The other thing that sucks are people that go on hiatus...and NEVER return :(
  14. Offline

theforger Member

Total Posts:
    In a fandom game, when OCs jump all over canon characters because their players are a fan of said canon, OR when OCs are created with the express purpose of somehow hooking up with a particular canon. And when the players of said OCs get mad when their beloved canon won't act out of character and be their twu wub for ever and ever.

Look. We get it. The Winchesters are awesome. But they're also kind of busy saving the world, and nearly every female character they come into contact with dies horribly.

I'm a Sam player, and I feel so, so bad for the Dean players who just want to save people and hunt things. Stop objectifying the boys, dammit!
  15. Offline

Theadore aka Teddy

Total Posts:
    1) Whenever people bug me to post. It makes me less likely to post.

2) A 10 paragraph post of nothing that moves the thread along. 10 paragraphs could be summed up as: "So and so shows up, they sit down, they ignore everyone and think about how awesome/tragic their life is."

3) When someone asks me if I want to thread, then they expect me to start the thread. If you ask, you should start.

4) When someone has a bunch of characters but they're all essentially the same person just with a different name. Even their faces are often nearly identical.

5) People who are freakishly obsessed with IC Relationships. If all you ever RP or talk about is who likes who it's kind of weird. Especially when you're obsessed with 3rd years in Hogwarts dating upper years. 3rd years are basically eighth graders- they shouldn't be dating 5th years (sophomores in high school). It also bugs me when characters in their 20s date teenaged characters. It's illegal IRL for a reason.

6) People who use freakishly small font. Also when people bold/change the color of the dialog in a post. There are things in the post that are as important as the dialog. I think when people do this all they do is read your dialog and absolutely nothing else.

7) When people propose plots that don't fit your character description. I think people should at least bother to check out your character sheet before proposing things.

8) Characters who hate my characters for no valid IC reason.
  16. Offline

Bourne Endeavor Member

Total Posts:
    1) The inability to post in proper paragraphs. I refuse to read a post I can scarcely comprehend due to it being a monstrous wall.

2) While lack of capitalization and correct grammar can be an annoyance. What I find most irksome are posts where the person does not include a space subsequent to his or her punctuation. This is more frequent on gaming forums than in roleplay however it is no less grating.

3) A reply which does not progress the present situation in some capacity. It can become quite frustrating to scamper through posts multiple times attempting to locate something I can use to build on.

4) I have a tendency to completely avoid sites where members play upwards of twelve characters. They risk redundancy and are unlikely to grow if the setting encourages canons. Final Fantasy sites are often plagued with this unfortunately.

5) People who are obsessively nitpicky, especially out of jealousy. I once had a friend 'correct' a sentence he claimed was not properly worded that amounted to the identical meaning. There had literally been no difference and both were grammatically correct, just with a couple words rearranged.

6) Excessive filler, although I am admittedly more tolerate of this than others.

7) Staff with a God complex. I can across such an individual about a year prior on an Apocalypse site, wherein I discovered when writing my app her characters were built to God mode. Apparently, they could locate your character regardless of where they were, you could not escape or elude escape, her characters were superior in virtually every degree. This pertains to my next peeve...

8) Abruptly created rules, which were not present before hand and the, "If you create a concept without asking. It is disabled." Aye, this would involve the aforementioned site. I have always been under the impression, "write the concept so long as it adheres to the rules and make the requested changes. That way you present the full story instead of a cliffnote version which could be misinterpreted." Add to the fact this rule I detest was not present until after my app. When a rewrite was denied simply because I salvaged most of my work. You can imagine my ire.

9) Being pestered to post unless a fair amount of time has passed. A gentle nudge here or there I hadn't a qualm with but a constant remainder every hour will almost inevitably result in my logging off or making a substandard post.
  17. Offline

spiffygremlin Member

Total Posts:
    1) Length. Not stuff being too long or too short. I'm bothered that people focus on it so much. Some post needs to be short, and others long. I honestly don't care if you wrote six hundred words. If my character's only got two hundred or so words to respond with, I say that it's better left at that opposed to me filling it in with four hundred words of fluff. At the same time, sometimes I'll write over eight hundred. I treat each post differently because each post is different.

2) Post chopping. If my character says a bunch of stuff in one post, I generally assume that they weren't interrupted. If you want to respond to something, and it doesn't work to have your character wait until after my character was done, you can ask me to change my post a little. It's really no big deal, and it's a lot cleaner.

3) IC Actions = IC Consequences. They really do. It also tends to make the game more fun and can create some really nifty plots. It just bugs me when people don't remember that.
  18. Offline

Pippin's Socks Fool of a Took! Hobbits don't wear socks.

• Skin Fiend
    • Terrifying Templater
    • Emerging Artist
    • 'D Contributor
    • Community Challenger
    • Community Devoted
    • All-rounder
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    I had a character once who had to wear a bell for flirting. (She was an Accepted at the White Tower at the time; flirting was FORBIDDEN~!!! and all that.) She also wound up sort of kidnapped. And pregnant because she'd been using the same herbs for birth control for so long. IC consequences are fun.

Center aligned posts. Just ... no. >_<
  19. Offline

blinkblonkbloop Member

Total Posts:
    This.

I had the pleasure of playing Peter Pan once, who is notable for being a child who doesn't take anything seriously and ditched Wendy in the real world for the singular reason that he "totally forgot about her" and when he later remembered he treated it like it totally wasn't a big deal. Because, you know, it wasn't. To him.

Anyway, the admin - as I eventually learned - apparently created the entire board basically so that she could flirt with Pan as Wendy, and they would be twoo luvz <3<3<3<3 4evar and it was very awkward. I didn't want Pan confiscated from me for not kissing up to the admin, since it isn't like there are a lot of Peter Pan games I can choose from, but long-term monogamous relationships just aren't Pan's style. Or relationships in general.

I'd say my biggest pet peeve is people who can't roll with the punches. Okay, you got godmoded on accident (or purpose), or something happened that you didn't like, or whatever. Cry me a river, come up with some reason to get around it, give the person a slap on the wrist OOCly, and go on with your life. You're a freaking writer, write up a reason for why things went that... um, surprising... direction. I've seen entire RPs grind to a halt because someone had a hissy fit.
  20. Offline

Jaolynn Member

Total Posts:
    I am probably going to get some flames for saying this, but I've gotta let it out sometime.

I hate play-bys. I do not see the point in "finding" some celebrity or model who looks how I want my character to look. If you cannot come up with a reasonable image of what my character looks like from my description, then you apparently have no imagination, which you should if you are WRITING or READING, both of which are required for roleplaying. When you read a book you get from a store, they don't have little images of celebs in the front of them that are supposed to be their characters (unless of course the book was made into a movie, maybe but that is an after the fact type of situation which involves a reprinting of the book) And if I am going to have anything, it is going to be a drawing that I did or had commissioned, because it is going to be a heck of a lot more accurate than some picture of Brad Pitt will ever be.

I don't care if people want to use play-bys, I am really the live and let live type, so I mean no offense, really. These are just my reasons for why I do not use play-bys.