1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stormcrown

Role Player Demographics...

Discussion in 'Roleplay Talk' started by Zorc, Jun 12, 2011.

?

You are a...

Upper-class female 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Upper-class male 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Middle-class female 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Middle-class male 1 vote(s) 50.0%
Lower class female 1 vote(s) 50.0%
Lower class male 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. Offline

Zorc Flandre is not ammused, peasant

Total Posts:
    Just a little experiment that was inspired by something a friend had said. My friend had said that he thought most RPers are middle class-upper class females and as a result I wanted to see if he was right. While I know most RPers now a days will be female I have no idea on social class and I also have now idea how more females then males there are and as a result have decided to post up this little experimental poll to see exactly what the overall demographic for RPers looks like.
  2. Offline

No Show Member

Total Posts:
    You know, this is a pretty cool experiement. Should be interesting to see the results. lol
  3. Offline

AuroraL The Positive Impact Person

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Nice idea for an experiment however there is a problem of how you define a certain class according to income and this will vary according to country, currency and other factors. Most of people in the US that are middle class would be upper class in another country. Most of my own country's middle class would be US lower class.

I'd say according to general idea I'm lower class female.
  4. Offline

bblast HEH.

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Damn, where all my bros at?

I agree with Aurora that, yeah, definitions of upper/middle/lower class are going to vary from region to region and country to country. I suppose self-identification is more important in this instance, however.

I wonder what it is about RPG-D that attracts so many more female players. I don't see this kind of demographic slant on MU*s.
  5. Offline

Zorc Flandre is not ammused, peasant

Total Posts:
    MU*s? What is that? Is it an RPG-D like site? Also, I am male though I am a very atypical member as far as this site is concerned anyway.(Just search my name to find all my controversial opinions I posted a while back to see why.)....and so far it looks like my friend is right, the vast bulk so far are middle class females....we shall still wait and see, though.
  6. Offline

TheVizir A rabble-rouser - I rouse rabbles

Total Posts:
    Aye... the class dealio is a bit subjective here, depending on country, region, ethnicity and all (yes, ethnicity can have an effect on the perception of your class. Think about it... there we go ;) ) Probably better to have chosen either age, race or ethnicity for breaking things down. But then we'd be inundated with the hordes of 'white 18-29 females,' but eh...
  7. Offline

Sharpiefan Reality used to be a friend of mine

Total Posts:
    A big, damp, foggy island nor'nor'east of Ushant
    I'd say I'm lower middle class... my parents would say they're working class.

*shrugs*
  8. Offline

Misha The Purple Pirate

• Community Devoted
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Still be interested to see that, though!

Agree with that. Also, adding that a majority of people in the US tend to identify as "middle class," which means there's a huge amount of diversity in that group. Personally, I'd say my parents are upper-middle class. My current job/income would put me as lower-middle class, I think, but yeah, class isn't so simple.
  9. Offline

Pippin's Socks Fool of a Took! Hobbits don't wear socks.

• Skin Fiend
    • Terrifying Templater
    • Emerging Artist
    • 'D Contributor
    • Community Challenger
    • Community Devoted
    • All-rounder
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    So true, and I'm in a similar situation to you. My parents are middle-middle class, and I'm somewhere in the lower class. Not at the bottom (I live in a house, not on the street), but definitely lower.
  10. Offline

Perfect Circle Just call me MegaMan X

• Community Devoted
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    There's a lot of middle class females. o.O

But I would consider myself a middle class male (by US terms.) My mum works at Sony, though I do have an Uncle who own farms and a few businesses. Me myself, I have a two story house by myself. Though that doesn't make me upper class by any means. XD
  11. Offline

Lee ^ doesn't go to sleep to dream

Total Posts:
    Heh, I'd consider myself working class.

While I think your friend isn't too far off the mark, it depends a lot on the genre, I think. You're going to find more dudes in certain forms of RPing that's less popular with chicks and vice-versa.
  12. Offline

Hera hooch is crazy!

• Emerging Artist
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Your friend is looking very right!
  13. Offline

Travelling Brain scourge of the interbutts

Total Posts:
    I feel like you should elaborate in your original post how you define these demographics! What does ~middle class~ mean? What about ~upper~ class?

Also, a gender-neutral option would be nice!
  14. Offline

time immemorial ! Member

Total Posts:
    I agree with Travelling Brain. I put myself as upper class female simply because everyone has always told me that I'm "rich"; I live abroad, etc. etc. I've never thought much on it, and as I've never actually lived in America (my parents have several houses in the United States--but I only visit, I don't live there)... well, I suppose I'm assuming you're saying it from an American point-of-view? I'm not exactly certain what would be classified as "upper class" and what would be classified as "middle class" in America, lol. /silly Russian girl

EDIT: Also, if you're under eighteen/you have a trust fund, should you just go off of your parents' "demographic"? Because I'm under eighteen, and... well, since I haven't made any of my own money yet, I can't really, honestly, put myself in any class--unless I'm basing it off of my parents' income. xD
  15. Offline

Aiza Talzin Member

Total Posts:
    Look at us middle class represent! =D
  16. Offline

emROARS Member

Total Posts:
    agreed. By uk standards i'm working class meaning i'm lower class although compared to the US i'd be middle class.

*shrug*
  17. Offline

Regent closer to the edge

• Radical RPer
    • Community Challenger
    • Community Devoted
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Well lets see here, I work part-time, go to school, and live at home. So as I'm still more or less living off my parents, I think its safe to say I'm "upper" class. That being said, its more like on the line between upper-middle class & lower-upper class. My family is on the cusp.
  18. Offline

Nashira Member

Total Posts:
    Aside from the class issues, there's also the matter that even if all of the 'D answered the poll it still wouldn't begin to cover even a significant portion of rpers as a whole and so is fairly "eh" as demographics research goes.
  19. Offline

stygimoloch Hipsterrific!

Total Posts:
    I'm not "a male," I'm a man. What is this, a biology textbook?

:p
  20. Offline

MagzO Yoda is judging you

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    I agree with the ones who say you should define each class. The fact that some of us are from different countries changes the usual socioeconomic standards. In Mexico, I am Upper-class but if you compare my situation with more developed countries, I could fit in the other two.