1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Package Design

Discussion in 'Design and Resources' started by Nda, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Offline

dracarys Member

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Anybody interested in package design? Check out thedieline.com.

As a graphic design student, I'm left drooling over some of the stuff on this site. A few of my classmates have actually been in their 'Student Spotlight' with something they built for a class a while back.

I've always had a bit of an interest in packaging, though I'm always left stumbling when it comes to building it. Anybody who can build beautifully designed packaging is talented in my book. I mean, this is beautiful. And this. And I'm gonna stop linking before I show you the whole site. XD

Does anybody else pay attention to good package design? I can't be the only one. XD

Edit: YAY POST 3800.
  2. Online

kismet "hack it 'til it works"

• Emerging Artist
    • 'D Contributor
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Definitely! But there are so many things out there that have a horrible horrible design, so it kinda detracts from the whole 'Ohh, shiny!' feel of everything. When it comes to package design, I like the fact that you can be clever with shape, lighting and material.

That said, I really like that site. :D Nice share, Nda! Thanks.
  3. Offline

LOLABEE Wit beyond measure is man’s greatest treasure.

Total Posts:
    I've bookmarked that site! I'm an advertising major and I've studied product design, among other things, so no, you're not the only one who finds these things interesting. xD Thanks for sharing!
  4. Offline

bribee Member

Total Posts:
    YESS, someone with my obsession!! Have you checked out www.lovelypackage.com ? I love the dieline as well, but sometimes it's like way too many options for me to click on, haha. I'm a graphic design student graduate, and I loved it when we had our packaging class. Though I'm rubbish with cutting and gluing -- go figure, haha. I hope I can find a job in packaging, though I'd be happy with just an agency that does some packaging here and there.
  5. Offline

SIENA New Member

Total Posts:
    yes, yes, yes! There are so many terrible packaging designs around us (I'm looking at you, vons generic brand baked beans) so its always wonderful when you stumble upon something that is actually beautiful for the way its designed. I'm a subscriber to all those design magazines and my favorite part has always been where they showcase different designs for packaging.
  6. Offline

MagzO Yoda is judging you

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    This site rocks. Thank you so much for the link.

I'm not a designer, but a Marketing graduate, and considering how involved I am with advertising in my field, I just loved everything about this site. I think sometimes it's so easy for us in the field to just ask designers whatever, and not take into account the big deal of effort and creativity they use to come up with such designs.
  7. Offline

Atara Member

Total Posts:
    Ah TheDieLine is amazing. When I took an illustration course a few semesters back we had a project that crossed a bit into packaging design (working on label/packaging for a winery). Everyone was beyond inspired by that site. Some people came up with some great ideas in my class as well!