1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Otm's > Is There Good To Having Them?

Discussion in 'Roleplay Talk' started by The Mad Hattress, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Offline

The Mad Hattress Don't torture yourself, Gomez....that's my job.

• Online Professor
    • University Professor
    • University Collegiate
    • 'D Contributor
    • Community Devoted
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    So this spurned from a this topic: That I started and now I want to know.

Is there anything good that comes from having OTM's? I myself and I know of other people and from the topic I made it appears that there are more people out there that feel that, no....there really isn't any good.

We are all pretty aware of the bad and negative that comes with having them, what I really would like to know if there are any Admin's out there that have had good on their site and board because they had OTM's?
  2. Offline

Ruffian Beast of All Saints

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    I don't see the point and think they're pretty stupid, but they don't offend me to the point I'll leave, either.

On our site, we have a character spotlight that changes to a new character every time the page is refreshed or whatever, and it's more to invite people to look at characters they haven't otherwise considered plotting with.

On kismet's site, she picks characters for a weekly spotlight and provides incentives to plot with them, and I thought that was a good idea, because again it's about getting people out of their box and doing something new (but without forcing people to do it), and has nothing to do with "THIS CHARACTER IS THE MOST POPULAR!"

I don't have an inherent PROBLEM with OTM's or anything that people can vote on. I just don't see their point, and I never vote in them and I tend to gloss over that area of the skin entirely because I find the idea pretty boring.
    2 people like this.
  3. Offline

DesR "Sometimes, when you fall, you fly."

Total Posts:
    I love OTMs!

Its really been for us a consistent way to highlight people's achievements - newbies STRIVE for Newbie of the Month, people LOVE to be a part of Thread of the Month (generally a group thread) and therefore, in general, I feel like we recognize the people who make our site what it is. Its also a good opportunity for me to tell people all the things I love about them.

It may help that our staff and staff characters DO NOT qualify, and no one can win twice in a row. We also nominate everyone.
    2 people like this.
  4. Offline

Cambryn ..hotter than reality by far...

Total Posts:
    Eh.

It's too junior high yearbook for my tastes...We have a revolving quotes thread instead. We can switch and add them in and out, and it refreshes. This is a writing site we run, so we focus on celebrating the writing, like so:
    "Alrighty… I can’t have drunk that much. I still have my pants."
    ~ Redan Endevar
    "You have an excellent reputation. I wanted to have.. to see your skill for myself." Even still he could barely get his sentences out.. ‘wanted to have her for himself’ had nearly spilled out, and that wasn’t right… was it?
    ~ Califer Eryndar, bumbling flirt
    "It's not like it'll change anything, lad, the knowing. Just rest on the fact that we're a long way from the summer sea."
    ~ The Dowager Duchess
  5. Offline

Chele Writer:odd being that transforms caffeine to books

• 'D Contributor
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    I like random generators for spotlights, but seeing as I now have over 100 characters on the site, I can't put all of them in the generator anymore.

We do have a monthly competition, but this is for someone to interview. Each month the staff choose a character selection, so we have Sects for example. Any character involved in that selection is put up for voting, and the one with the most votes gets to be interviewed for the month by everyone else. It's interesting because you find out things you may not learn through IC posts, like their history etc.
    Yes, there is probably an element of popularity in there, but there is also one of interest. Currently, the character winning the voting is one that practically every person comments on making them laugh because she is interesting and funny.
    Also, if that character wins the interview, they will never be interviewed again, so it won't be the same people winning every month.

Then, the people in the selection go into the Generator, so they get the 'spotlight' for the month. Again, if they're in the spotlight one month, they wouldn't be the next, so everyone gets their moment if they are on the board for more than a couple months.

I think people like seeing their characters there, or characters they post with. Especially the interviews, because it shows how interested people are in those characters. It's always a lot of fun!
    1 people like this.
  6. Offline

Vicky Member

Total Posts:
    I don’t like them, and I really can’t find anything good that comes from them. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve ran OTMs in the past, but the results weren’t good at all. People mostly voted for characters whose player they were BFFs with.

Nowadays, I choose not to have them for that specific reason. The only time I think I’ve ever ran a successful OTM was when it wasn’t for characters, but rather threads. People voted on their favorite thread and in the end, we realized that one of our group threads turned out to be everyone’s favorite and that players enjoyed event threads more. The runner ups had really good stories behind them, too.
    2 people like this.
  7. Offline

TheOracle I keep cereal in my pocket. To feed them.

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    The only one I do is the activity spotlight / most active IC poster for the previous month. I'm not a big fan of the other OTMs, for reasons mostly stated above: feels like junior high again, creates extra and unnecessary work for the staff, doesn't necessarily reflect good writing or activity so much as popularity, people's feelings might get hurt, yadda yadda yadda.

I've never flat-out left a site because of them, but I don't generally feel like they add anything to a site.
    2 people like this.
  8. Online

Firelord Kesra Now with Nipple Tassles

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Not a fan of OTMs. Too much drama can come from them. And when I see them on other sites, I walk away when every one of them are staff characters. Especially if they're the same staff character. For example on say, an X Men site.

Male of the Month: Magneto
    Female of the Month: Rogue
    Relationship of the month: Magneto and Rogue
    Thread of the month: Magnetic (Magneto and Rogue)

THAT annoys me to no end. Get over yourselves -.-
    8 people like this.
  9. Offline

Chekhov's gun I'm a rattlesnake, babe.

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Lol, I know of a site where the admin was the member of the month for like 4 months in a row. Her favorite ship (of hers) was also relationship of the month periodically. ;x

Personally... I don't like OTMs. I've had bad experiences with them in the past. Meaning, everyone on my site at the time (years and years ago, the site is closed now) would whine when it's time to oh-my-glob, read other people's threads and get a feel for other people's characters. So, I just stopped bothering. I've been happier since.

I was recently debating on starting up ones that were merit-based, like who posted the most that month or something, or... something. But I really have no idea if I'm going to go through with that. xD
  10. Offline

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Idddkkkk, it seems even more arbitrary than the standard popularity contest. Mostly because I'm not sure what the merit of just posting a LOT is, I mean obviously it means a lot to the admin, but why should the members care, I guess is what I'm asking? xD Wow word vomit.
  11. Online

Firelord Kesra Now with Nipple Tassles

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    I've thought about superlatives if I get a site that makes it a Year.

"Most likely to Moon the Dark Lord of the Sith"
    "Most complicated love life"
    "Least likely to reach Knighthood before the age of 40"
    5 people like this.
  12. Online

Coley Directory Minion

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Any time I have done them... staff members are ineligible to win as are any member that has won in the last 6 months. It was staff chosen to highlight a character that had been accepted for a month plus and was active. It was nothing to do with popularity or how good their writing was. It was meant to be a congratulations for contributing to the board. I haven't done an otm at my current board...mostly because we are fairly small in size and I don't see the point in highlighting the same characters over and over. I never realized that drama could be caused over of the moments because I have never seen the drama happen! Now that you guys mentions it, I totally understand how it could happen if it was done unfairly! I quite like the idea of rotating character profiles though.. if I were to do anything at this point, I would do that.
  13. Offline

Kajouka Thunder Rumbling, Castles Crumbling

• Radical RPer
    • 'D Contributor
    • Community Challenger
    • Community Devoted
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    I like highlighting character, but as a member, I do hate voting them! People like to see their characters (people = members) spotlighted, so I can say that perhaps the good would be the positive feeling the players get at seeing their character on the sidebar.
    1 people like this.
  14. Offline

Imaginary Poet Member

Total Posts:
    I've never won one. So I guess I have a vendetta against them because of it?

But I guess I join clique sites or something because I feel it's the same people who win. like this one member was loved and her characters were always chosen but it was okay because she had more than one to be rewarded so to them she wasn't winning with the same character at least.

I think that's wrong. I just never got OTM's. I see them as a way for cliques surrounding the admin and her posse to glorify themselves. I mean I had been on a site for 5 yrs and never one. People who joined less than a week win constantly. So yeah I guess I am bitter over them and don't like them to the point I won't join a site if they are a big deal for sites.

If they aren't a big deal I don't mind them so much because then i can avoid them.
  15. Offline

n y l o n s Member

Total Posts:
    I'm a huge proponent of OTMs and think that they add to the sense of community on a board if done right. Our OTMs are generated by members, not the admin. Members nominate each other and all the nominations are put up for a vote so members also select who they want the OTMs to be and we haven't yet had a problem with this system in the 8+ months we've been doing it.

It's probably important to note that my site has slightly older RPers (mostly over the age of 20) and I think that contributes to the OTM process not becoming a popularity contest. The memberbase is aware that nominating OTMS isn't so much about selecting your friends as it is picking characters, pairings, quotes, etc. that really shined and caught your attention the month before. While we don't specifically have a rule against members nominating the admin/mods for "member OTM" my staff has been really good about graciously declining nominations in that particular category.
    4 people like this.
  16. Offline

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Yeah I have no idea. :x I got the idea from my friend who used to run some huge avatar site. I was like 'well, it doesn't sound terrible, I guess'. In general, I've been striving to make my site more inclusive, but eh, I really hate OTMs. Just piecing them together is a pain.
  17. Offline

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Yeah I've always felt like they were more trouble than they're worth, and usually only either the staff cares about them or like a group of three people do. I've never felt they added a sense of "community" because I never even pay attention to them... I just don't see how anyone could care enough about it to provide any sort of interpersonal cohesion?
  18. Offline

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    I think that they're meant to make people think seriously about their little community and the members in it and whatnot, and to kick that oh-so-competitive spirit that a lot of us feel into place and to make people feel the need to do more to be 'accomplished', or something. Which is stupid, because I'm absurdly competitive, myself, and I hate turning roleplaying into a competition because of that.
    1 people like this.
  19. Offline

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Hm, I must just be broken then. Like even the handful of times I've won, I always go "Huh" and just go back to threading.
  20. Offline

Whiskey Member

Total Posts:
    Never been a fan. When trying to find a new site I always found them intimidating. And as an Admin I don't have them. Once a member has been on the site for a month however, I will put them in the Character Spotlight. It randomly selects a different character picture each time that you refresh. So really, everyone is put in the spotlight.

But I've come to see that OTM's seems to just be a popularity contest. And it also causes more drama than it's worth.