1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Html] Tables & Borders

Discussion in 'Solved Support Topics' started by squidface, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Offline

squidface "He doesn't ROW?"

• Skin Fiend
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Board Software: Invisionfree
    Problem With: Headers/footers/tables
    Problem: Ok so I want to create the effect of two borders either side of the main table of a forum. I think the best way to do this is with tables. I already have one table - my main table containing my forum. However I'm struggling to write the code for a table which aligns 3 columns with the forum table in the middle. I hope this makes sense.
    Evidence: I don't have any codes atm D: basically I can get the first column on the left to work, but the one on the right ends up underneath the main table.
  2. Online

Haymitch's Flask Lets go explore

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Okay if I have the right mental picture in my head with what you want to do, the outline property for css should help you out.

Is there a chance you could post a diagram of what you want to do, so i could help out a bit more specifically?
  3. Offline

Kajouka Thunder Rumbling, Castles Crumbling

• Radical RPer
    • 'D Contributor
    • Community Challenger
    • Community Devoted
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    I have some questions. So when you say border, are you just looking to have a color there as a border? Are you doing a sidebar type thing? And when you say you coded the table on the middle, are you writing this as three tables that you want aligned? Or just three columns in one table?

Can you link to where you've got the column beneath the table so I can see?
  4. Offline

squidface "He doesn't ROW?"

• Skin Fiend
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    I'm assuming I want three columns of the same table.

This is something what I want it to look like, as I reckon that's the easiest way to get a border on either side of the main table. I don't know if this makes more sense, less sense, or what. Basically if you imagine the normal table for a forum containing the categories, sidebar, banner and whatnot, I'd also like two columns either side which contain matching border images. I just can't for the life of me seem to code tables in columns. X_X

EDIT: Unless there is, of course, an easier way of doing this. But this is the solution I came up with in my head. xD Now it's just a question of implementing it. Thanks for helping out guys <3
  5. Offline

Kajouka Thunder Rumbling, Castles Crumbling

• Radical RPer
    • 'D Contributor
    • Community Challenger
    • Community Devoted
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    It should be just

Code: Select
    <table> <tr>
    <td>BORDER HERE</td>
    <td>BOARD HERE</td>
    <td>BORDER HERE</td></tr><table>

If you're coding if IF, I would put the

Code: Select
    </td>
    <td>BORDER HERE</td></tr><table>

In the footer, so that the copyright part is inside the table that contains the board and the border will run down both sides of the page all the way.

If you're coding jcink, then you would also put it after the copyright. Make sure that any divs you have that encompass the enter board also close in the footer.

If you're started testing, and you give me your code, I can put it on a test board and work on it.

I assume, since you got the border working on the left, you've got all your CSS in place and your td widths identified? One thing to be sure is that if you're specified a div width or a table width that your other widths are not too big/small. I like to specify the outside widths in pixels and leave the width of my board as the flexible part of the table.
  6. Online

Haymitch's Flask Lets go explore

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Ohh okay I get you now.

Here's my suggestion: Surround your entire forum in a "container" class. One where you can define a border for in the CSS. Make sure the width of it is big enough to account for the border you want to put on the forum itself. Hopefully this attached picture (because i like pictures) will make sense. And voila, you have your second border. you can add a bit of width on it and what not to seperate the borders if you want to do that.

I suggest this way because to do it in a table method like you are thinking will only result in much confusion, or so I think. At least with this method you can then utilize the border-image property to create your borders. And it's also much easier to customize rather than trying to use tables to do all of that.