1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hbo's Game Of Thrones

Discussion in 'Media' started by Yoda8MyHead, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Offline

Yoda8MyHead retired

• Skin Fiend
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Game of Thrones starts on Sunday April 17th! Who will all be watching?

I'm excited about the series. Not happy about the start date though. I have a game to watch! Luckily it's on several times that night, and I can record it just in case.
    2 people like this.
  2. Offline

Soapies The Mourning Star

Total Posts:
    Sooooooo ready for this. Did you see the preview(it's the Prologue and Chapter 1 of the book.)? It looked good. But...the kids aren't cast as well as I hoped. None of them are fair-haired enough. And they're aged a little.

Oh, and the wights' eyes looked kind of silly imo.
  3. Offline

Vespers Nine Member

Total Posts:
    I wasn't aware that the Stark kids were fair-haired at all? GRRM describes Arya and Jon as having dark brown hair, and Robb, Sansa, Rickon, and Bran are described as having darker, auburn hair. Unless you mean that the kids that are supposed to have auburn hair don't really? In which case, I still wouldn't consider auburn to be fair-haired, but I might just be splitting hairs (pun intended xD ).

EDIT: I just looked at pictures of some of the cast and Sansa actually looks pretty blonde to me!

Anyway, at least for me, I've long given up on having characters look exactly how I imagine them in the books. As long as they look somewhat like how they're supposed to and can act the part, I'm generally happy ^_^ GRRM was also part of the casting, and during the process he talked a lot about how painstaking it was to find the right kids for all the parts (not saying the castings will be ZOMG PERFECTION! and beyond criticism, but that's a good sign, imo).

And I can totally understand why they aged the kids up, it just makes sense, and I would have been super surprised if they hadn't done that. They've done it in films like Dune (Alia) and Interview with the Vampire (Claudia) simply because the younger a child is, the harder they are to direct, especially in films where the content is pretty mature.

Also, many of the scenes in ASOIAF (Dany and Drogo come to mind) would just be way too O_____O for a TV audience. Another reason too is that if HBO continues with ASOIAF, they'll produce one season (book) a year. All the books in ASOIAF (from what I recall) take place in a very short amount of time, relatively speaking. For example, Rickon is only 3 years old when the series begins, and 3 year olds grow really fast. If the books follow one after another in a straight continuation of events...it'll look really weird to see Rickon start off as a three year old in GoT and be a 6 year old in SoS.

Though I will consent to Jon and Robb looking a bit old, but I can understand that as well.

Anywho! I've been really excited for the series for a long time, so I'll definitely be watching! The trailers look really great, GRRM seems happy with it (which is a good sign...anyone else remember the ominous warnings that Terry Goodkind was giving when his books were "adapted" to tv? *shudders*), and a lot of the castings make me happy so far, like King Robert, Tyrion, Littlefinger, Jaime, and Cersei.
    1 people like this.
  4. Offline

ShadowedSin Bloody Bloody Bloody, Potatoes!

Total Posts:
    I need to watch the preview, but the series is looking pretty good.
  5. Offline

Yoda8MyHead retired

• Skin Fiend
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    My dad never read the books but was interested when he saw the preview. He ended up lost and confused about what was happening while watching the show though. He was also bored.

I have to admit, after the great start I was kind of bored too.
  6. Offline

Avalon New Member

Total Posts:
    Argh I was so mad that I missed the first episode. I hope I can check this out on Hulu!
  7. Offline

Mako Member

Total Posts:
    The show's pretty graphic but then again, I forgot it was on HBO lol.
  8. Offline

• Marked by Blood • Member

Total Posts:
    I will be watching it. I think though all the incest is kinda stupid but hey.. whatever. Otherwise from the first episode its pretty good.
  9. Offline

Eveykins Derpaherp.

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    ....why?
  10. Online

Dun Dun

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    I think the show's absolutely brilliant thus far. It has a fantastic cast- especially those younger actors, and I'm really impressed by the attention to detail. I'll be watching every Sunday!

George's ability to use sexuality in a meaningful way is one of the things I love most about him! The relationship between Cersei and Jaime is one of my favorites, even if I friggin' hate Cersei.
  11. Offline

Esfiel Member

Total Posts:
    I barely keep up with any TV series, but this is one I most defiantly will be. I loved his books and thus far I think they're doing the books justice. (Not that I'm a huge stickler in book to movie/TV adaption, it just makes me happy when they stick to it well.)
  12. Offline

Zozma What the hell's a quatloon? Some kind of potato?

Total Posts:
    Haven't read the books, but like the show so far. Of course, if I'd read the books, I'd probably be too busy nitpicking to enjoy it, so I'd say that might be a good thing... Although to be perfectly honest, I only started watching because one of my favorite actors (Jason Momoa) is in it.
  13. Online

Dun Dun

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    A good thing to note: There will be a second season. :D It's already confirmed.
  14. Offline

Kajouka Thunder Rumbling, Castles Crumbling

• Radical RPer
    • 'D Contributor
    • Community Challenger
    • Community Devoted
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    I've read the books. I love the books. I've already bought the book that hasn't come out yet.

I have loved the show. Trust me, READ THE BOOKS!!! They are amazing. And so is the show :)
  15. Offline

Total Posts:
    Okay, I'll go ahead and give the books a read! xD
  16. Offline

Eveykins Derpaherp.

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    If you can read your way through the first book before you watch any more of this season Zozma I'd recommend it.

You'll be so much more OH GAWD! as the season progresses and find yourself appreciating it more. xD

In my opinion anyway, I've been highly enjoying the show so far and I've read the books a few times.
  17. Offline

Dante. PhD in time wasting

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    I'm in it!! I was a Dothraki horse warrior lady, only got the gig because I was a horse rider. Might get a few days work this year as well when shooting kicks off again.

Im kind of annoyed that it was shot here and yet we don't get to see it! :(
  18. Offline

kismet "hack it 'til it works"

• Emerging Artist
    • 'D Contributor
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Seeing as it's an HBO production and they never get it wrong (True Blood never happened), I was really eager to watch it. And I have seen both episodes now and THEY'RE AMAZING. Very excited about the series.

I haven't read the books and probably won't have time to do so in the near future, but I'm eager to, at some point. Also, I'm loving Tyrion. He looks like a charater I'd write and love to write and just riddle the world with shenanigans.
  19. Online

Dun Dun

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    That's so fun! :D It's a real bummer that you don't get to see it where you are at the moment, though. :(

Also, kismet, Tyrion is totally one of my favorite characters, and I promise he gets even cooler. While reading the first book, he bothered me at first, but then he shot straight to favorite status along with Ned and some of the others. He's a phenomenal character, and I'm so damn happy that Peter Dinklage was chosen for the role.
  20. Offline

Total Posts:
    Yesss. Tyrion is so awesome, although I think so far my favorite goes to Arya. She is so adorable and I admit I love girls who can beat out the boys but somehow aren't Sue status.
    2 people like this.