1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stormcrown BTM affiliates

C'mon, We Wanna Rp Already

Discussion in 'Roleplay Talk' started by Overlord_Fate, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Offline

Overlord_Fate Also, I'm awesome

• Novice Reviewer
    • Emerging Artist
    • 'D Contributor
    • Community Challenger
    • Community Devoted
    • Multi-tasker
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    So as I've mentioned several places elsewhere: I've rejoined a site I loved, and find that I'm in love with again and likely to stay on for an extended stay. I used to be staff, but I've found out through trial and error that I don't like being staff. I've got the talents but it just isn't something I really enjoy doing.

When I rejoined, I invited three of my old RPing buddies that I'd picked up in the year I'd been off (well, I picked up two; one is a really old RPing buddy). We then managed to contact another mutual friend who's looking. We advertised and got another old friend to show up. Then I contacted an old protege (she's half my age, which I never thought I'd get to type), and she's joining. One of the friends I contacted contacted two of her friends, and they've both joined.

*breath*

So that's like eight new people to the site. Which is awesome in many, many ways. New activity, new blood, and they're all good/great RPers. However, they're also all making new characters, and there's something a few of us have been noticing:

The staff are really slow about accepting characters.

Usually if they know the char is from one of the new people, the process is expediated a little. However, there have been apps that set for nearly a week (I've got the record, where my third char sat for six days). My close buddy had to wait three days for her first char, and she's on day three or four for her second one. The staff have been logging on nearly daily; I post with a lot of them (and a lot of them are my friends). But this is frustrating, especially when there's all these new people who are bouncing around and getting anxious to RP. It's unlikely that any of us are going to leave over this, especially with so many friends and RP buddies, but the anxiety is racheting.

So now that I've prattled, like I do, I come to the question: Should I say something? I'm a member, and I don't wanna come off as snotty or impertinent or anything, especially as I've been staff on the site and been an admin myself. I think I already stepped on toes when I suggested signing up for directories (long story, different). It's just that I know this is frustrating people, myself included, and it seems to me like this is a strangely long time to wait. Am I perhaps overreacting? Any feedback or help would be appreciated.
  2. Offline

jeslylo Warning: Fangirls.

Total Posts:
    Hmmm.

I think if more than one staff member signed in daily, and no progress has been made, then perhaps someone should say something. I've had my own experience with being a mod/admin of a site, and I think the longest I waited to accept a character was a couple days after they declared their application finished. I just needed time to confer with the other admin(s) before accepting them.

I don't know if they're doing the same thing, and waiting to hear from each other, or if they're being lazy and taking their time, or if they're just plain forgetful (which happens to me a lot; I have the worst memory, I swear). I don't know their situation. If you think your relationship with them is tenuous, then have someone else talk to them about their slowness. Politely ask why they're taking so long, y'know? I'm sure if I was taking a while to accept applications, and people asked why, I'd give them a straight answer. Or be encouraged to hurry up and accept them. As long as they were polite about it, there wouldn't be an issue.

Then again, if I was in charge of accepting applications, I'd be checking back hourly to see if they were finished (unless your site is one where unfinished apps aren't allowed to be posted, then I don't understand why the staff are taking so long =/).
    3 people like this.
  3. Offline

Cynara What role do you wanna play?

Total Posts:
    I actually had this happen a few months ago. I spoke to the admin regularly in cbox and gchat. I really didn't want to be seen as a bother about it, but I also really wanted to play the character. When I finally made mention of it, she was apologetic and great about it, saying she had honestly thought it had already been accepted. She apologized and took care of it immediately. I did not expect immediate attention but I had been curious if there was a problem with it. She assured me there was none. Sometimes I think admin can simply miss one, so after this long maybe a question of is there an issue, or did I make a mistake is ok to drop to the admin/app reviewers.
    4 people like this.
  4. Offline

Little Machine dahdleedoo <3

Total Posts:
    It sounds a little like a bad habit, to be honest. I get that there are multiple admins and that the delays have happened multiple times? If the site's posting speed tends to be slower, then I don't think it would be too much of a problem (although I think six days is a bit much in any case!), but you said that they usually log on daily. Occasionally, admins might miss an app, but this seems to be more than occasionally. I don't think you'd be rude at all in asking why they take a while. Maybe you could PM them politely. :) Also, chances are you aren't the only one curious about their delays! Like that whole marketing logic thing; if one complaint comes in about a product, there are most definitely other people who have that same complaint but simply aren't voicing it.
    1 people like this.
  5. Offline

Ismaire Member

Total Posts:
    Hmm, I had this happen on a site where the admin was having rl issues or something and just wasn't online much - there were like three of us just bouncing around excited to play with each other but with apps waiting to be approved for two, three weeks - but the fact that they ARE obviously online makes it completely different. I don't think you're overreacting at all. They might just be overwhelmed with all the sudden new members, but I mean, if they have time to be playing them should have time for their admin duties. One thing though is, I'm guessing there are quite a few staffers? So maybe there's a bit of a breakdown in communication and it's not really set who's supposed to be handling apps. That kinda thing seems to happen a lot X3

I might just drop a mention of it in conversation with one of the ones you're friends with, if you can, mentioning so-and-so's really anxious to play but they're app's just sitting there, they're worried something's wrong, etc.
    1 people like this.
  6. Offline

Airyll spindly spindlies!

Total Posts:
    Am I the only person who thinks that a week really isn't that terrible? I mean if you'd said two weeks or a month, yeah I'd agree you should bring the issue up. But a week? Most sites I know of today ask for at least one post once a week, so I'm not really sure that getting accepted within a week of posting is all that bad either. My two cents are:

1) Have you considered that not all the staff may be in a position to accept applications? I know on the boards that I play on, only one staff member accepts profiles. I don't know if this is the case on this board you're on, but you also said that you yourself aren't staff so there might be a chance that there's something going on amongst staff that you don't know about any more.

2) As I've said, a week really isn't that long to wait, especially if the staff are having problems in real life that they might not have told you about. I don't think it's worth kicking up a fuss (even more so if you already have a character accepted and can roleplay.)

3) If you really feel the need to bring the issue up with staff I'd recommend just making it a pleasant question because a week really isn't all that long and I can't stress that enough. If you're itching to roleplay, it probably feels a lot longer than it is and it might be hard to wait, but the staff are people to and a week isn't that long in the grandest scheme of things. If you have to ask, just make it a curious query, a sort of "Hey I've seen you logging on and posting, and I'm just wondering if you've looked over my new application?"

/edited for misspellings that I didn't like seeing in my post. >:|
    4 people like this.
  7. Offline

daenelia Sky Pirate Captain with a Twisted Past

Total Posts:
    While a week may be long for a first character of a new member, I can totally understand how an admin can be wary of a bunch of new members all creating a bunch of new characters in a row. You can play with the ones you have, can you not? Ingrain yourselves in the site and the story before taking over the whole board with your characters.

So yes. I can understand that it takes that long. And maybe, just maybe, you should really ask the admin(s) that log on daily, because they may tell you that they think you're rushing. Maybe. I dunno. But they'd know why it takes so long.
    2 people like this.
  8. Offline

• Novice Reviewer
    • Emerging Artist
    • 'D Contributor
    • Community Challenger
    • Community Devoted
    • Multi-tasker
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    To clarify and sort of discuss/counter what Airyll said: I half agree with you. If the site's a slower site, one that encourages one post per week and moves along at about that rate, then accepting the characters at about a once per week basis would be perfectly acceptable. That's moving along with the same speed as the site as a whole, and would be reflective.

However, in this case, people post multiple times a day, and there's a lot of activity. Ergo the waiting in this case is not matching the pace of the forum as well, which seems to me to be part of the problem.

As for the staff situation; there are several staff members here, and they've all been logging on nearly daily (they have one who I know pretty well just handles graphics). I think they use something of a diplomatic process, with some votes and such.

To address some of daenelia's points. You're dead right about being worried about a bunch of new members creating a bunch of characters. This is six-seven different people each creating one character. The site has a ruling where you have to get 20 IC posts before you can apply for/have your second character accepted, and we've all been making sure we're well within range of that. I think you're definitely right about the idea of a newer member taking a bunch of characters as possibly being something to be a little concerned about; in the staff's position, I would behave in a very similiar.

So sort of a follow up question: What's the best way to talk to the admin about it?I have Facebook contact with a couple of the admins and have chatted with them off and on, and we do have a question/suggestion board. I know I could also post on the app itself (though admittedly, I'm anxious to some degree for my own character, but much more concerned about my friends, especially the new RPers who are waiting with mixed levels of patience). I know there's also the cbox route.
    1 people like this.
  9. Offline

xexes Double-check your email address is correct.

• Novice Reviewer
    • 'D Contributor
    • Community Devoted
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Privately, and whatever way that said admin prefers the most. If they are on AIM the most then use that. If FaceBook, then try that.

Remember that just because you use IM rather than cbox doesn't mean that your words are safe. They can easily post up the convo to laugh at you, so you want to make sure that you keep a professional attitude of respect and kindness and don't say anything incriminating. If you feel tired or angsty, wait until you're calm and alert to have the convo.
    1 people like this.
  10. Offline

Total Posts:
    Still have to disagree here. If only one or two of those several staff accept applications then you shouldn't be judging their speed by the speed of everybody else, especially if you have no way of knowing what's going on in their personal life outside of the computer. For example: on the sites I'm on, I can post in over eight threads every day at least once, and I can finish all eight threads if I got to post-volley with the other participants fast enough. I'm a speed machine, and so I make the sites look very active.

Should my posting speed reflect on staff posting speed? Well... no. No it shouldn't.

This is an apples and oranges thing, and in the end we'll probably have to agree to disagree. I do sympathise that a week can feel really really long if you're really inspired and really wanting to post and I can even agree that a week can seem even longer if everybody else is always posting. But I don't agree that you should hold what might only be one or two people to the standards everybody else is setting.

Nicely and in PM. A simple and quick

"Hey there! I posted an application for my character X days ago, and although I've seen staff online since, I'm not sure if the profile has been looked at yet?"

Remember that some admins are going to feel harassed and hounded no matter how you phrase your question and you might be making this process take even longer by bothering them about it. Just saying.
    3 people like this.
  11. Offline

Synlah Member

Total Posts:
    Okay, you influxed the sited with 8 new people who all made characters. You've mentioned you're on your third character and someone else is on their second character. What kind of time period are we talking here? If it's a relatively short time period, you probably need to chill out a bit because that's a lot of new character apps for the staff to go over and approve. Plus, they still have all their other staff duties and presumably they have posts to respond to. The staff could also be dealing with something very time-consuming that you have no idea of. If it's a short time period, the staff may be kind of sending you a message to cool it a little with the character creations. How many of you are creating multiple characters? Also, are you answering the threads where your other characters are involved? Are your other characters involved in stories? Are you playing or just creating characters? All this has an impact on the staff's response time.
    1 people like this.
  12. Offline

cypherrae I’m like a rare ass pokemon.

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    It's kind of hard to say what's what when I don't know how the staff system works. I've been on sites were they each have their own specific duties, one is great at keeping the board clean, one is good at maintaining the updates/news and one knows the information they are looking for the best, so they are the one that do the apps. I've also been on sites where they will get a majority rule on what's acceptable and what's not. Um, have you posted in the app that it's finished and ready for review? Silly question, I know. But if there isn't a specific area for Finished/Unfinished apps, they might not realize they are done? Also if you want to talk to them about, I would seriously agree with the privately thing. I know for a fact that the more people ask about checking apps/people posting in the public forum of cbox, the longer the person responsible will make you wait. Usually.
  13. Offline

Ismaire Member

Total Posts:
    Agreed with Airyll here, do it via pm. You definitely don't want to do it publicly, like in the cbox or on your app, and taking it to facebook seems a lot like badgering to me. Personally, I only give my IMs and such to close friends, so having someone come at me about admin stuff through there would freak me out a bit (though I'm weird like that). If you are good friends with the staff, and you talk to them regularly, then you can bring it up there - but otherwise just send the head admin or whoever a nice, polite pm about it.
    1 people like this.
  14. Offline

• Novice Reviewer
    • Emerging Artist
    • 'D Contributor
    • Community Challenger
    • Community Devoted
    • Multi-tasker
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Airyll, I'm going to have to continue to disagree with you. It's part of the staff's job to keep up with their forum on some level. If you don't, you're essentially damaging your own site on some level. It comes some with the territory of being active enough on your site. I really do think it comes down to the apples and oranges thing, and I'm willing enough to just agree to disagree.

Synlah, you make an excellent point, and one that I've actually talked with and thought about to some degree myself. The people I've invited have worked really hard to integrate, because we're there for the site as a whole, and not just to bring forth our own group (I actually joined for the original community and brought more people in to better contribute. I am slightly worried about the whole overwhelming thing, because we've essentially doubled the size of the community in a short time. That's part of my concern, and I think that if/when I contacted the staff about it, it would have to be something I considered.

cypherrae - I used to be a staff member on the site, but that was over a year and a half ago. I know that some of the staff members had specific jobs, but I think it was something of a vote system regarding apps. Like you had to get three votes from different staffers in order to get accepted or something along those lines. These are definitely finished apps and in the right section though; which is another thing I should've thought about mentioning.

I think part of my reservation and why I'm doing more chatting here about it then talking to them is that it doesn't bother me all that much. I mean, I've got four chars already and I've been posting with everybody and getting things in. True, I'm excited for my fifth and I really, really want to RP him, but it's not as high a priority. So in some ways, I feel like I'm working for this group of people that I sort of inadvertently brought in ><
    1 people like this.
  15. Offline

Total Posts:
    It's nice of you to think of them like that, but if this is the case...

It really isn't your "fight" to fight, and maybe you should consider actually talking to your friends about it first before you take it up with the admin, or even take it up with us? I mean, it doesn't bother you all that much as you've just said, and maybe it doesn't really bother them all that much either? I think the fact you've also just said you've doubled their community - or close enough - in such a short period of time is something you should seriously consider. For some staff that's hugely overwhelming (and I could tie this in to my point about you and your friends activity drastically changing the activity of the board, too, but I won't for now) and that could also be why they're taking longer and longer to accept your characters.

I'd recommend talking with your friends and seeing if they're that bothered about it. If they're not, then why bother saying anything? If they are, I'd actually recommend they maybe take it up themselves with the admin if it's a concern they have. It will mean more to the staff there to hear from the people who are actually bothered about the issue than hearing one person battle for all their friends, possibly without even knowing if their friends really are that genuinely bothered or not.
    2 people like this.
  16. Offline

dosymedia Member

Total Posts:
    I agree with Airyll. Speaking on behalf of other players makes the situation messy. If they're bothered by it, they should speak up.
    3 people like this.
  17. Offline

DesR "Sometimes, when you fall, you fly."

Total Posts:
    I currently have an app that has been around for three days that I haven't accepted yet.

Why?

1. Only one person on my site accepts profiles.
    The person regularly in charge of it is on vacation, leaving it for me, so I kinda waited while I wondered if she was going to come back.

2. I had some concerns.
    So I waited till I could catch the person online to talk to them.

3. I've had a busy few days.
    Yeah, I HAVE been RPing but sometimes an app is a lot more stress than just RPing and you want to like...do something for yourself every once in a while.

...I can appreciate how it feels like from your end but sometimes you do have to consider that well... they are humans too, and especially if there is such a huge backlog (6-7?!) they may just be getting temporarily overwhelmed.
    3 people like this.
  18. Offline

• Novice Reviewer
    • Emerging Artist
    • 'D Contributor
    • Community Challenger
    • Community Devoted
    • Multi-tasker
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    I went ahead and PM'd the staffers I was friends with, and essentially gave them the heads up about the lots of people coming in, as well as offering some of my help in any way I possibly could (i.e. answering questions and such). Talked some about making sure the transition goes slowly and stuff, and we're all on board and stuff.

They just accepted about half the apps in the last 24 hours, and they let the members know via cbox and a quick explanation that the others would likely get accepted ASAP, since they're new and their apps are strong on a whole. The staff even went ahead and posted up a quick "we know it's taking a while, here's how our application process works, and we promise to get to them as soon as we can."

In other words: seems like things are more or less working out. ^.^
    2 people like this.
  19. Offline

Cambryn ..hotter than reality by far...

Total Posts:
    This. So this. This this this.
    1 people like this.
  20. Offline

Chele Writer:odd being that transforms caffeine to books

• 'D Contributor
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    I have a few suggestions when it comes to this...

1. Make sure the staff know the app is finished. A lot of people put WIP in the description section of a post and then find they can't edit it out. It could be that the staff don't know you're finished. If you have WIP on it anywhere, post a reply saying "Finished" or something.

2. Ask a member of the staff you speak to regularly on the site about the layout of the staff. Even if you don't go "Who does Apps because mine is finished," having this information can be useful. Start it in a natural conversation. "Hey, I noticed you have a number of staff, do people have specific jobs or do you all pitch in all over?" This will limit the risk of the staff member being offended that you're assuming they aren't doing their job, and will just look like you're interested in knowing who to speak to for which areas.

3. If it's a specific person, or even if it's a group effort for accepting characters, speak to them privately. Explain kindly that you're really excited to start playing and if someone could give it a read over and let you know if it's good to go it would be really helpful to you. Even if they can't get to putting you on lists etc right away, knowing that the app is acceptable can help you move forward to plotting etc.

4. Write over email! You know the people you're waiting to play with, write a couple of threads over email while you wait. Once you're accepted, you can post the threads up in quick succession. This instant hitting the ground running instead of spending another week only posting in plotters etc, will show that you're really into this board and you want to write! Not only will it keep you busy while you wait, it will, most likely, open up plotting with other people once you do get going.

5. Whatever you do, be polite and don't nag. Like other people have said, staff may have other things going on, they may be in the chatbox but also working on school work etc. The more you nag, the more likely you'll annoy someone and you'll end up waiting longer. A polite nudge once is perfectly acceptable. Once every day will get annoying.

I am sure this is nothing the staff are doing on purpose. Give them the benefit of the doubt and then, when you are accepted, post like a demon, most likely, if they see how active you and your friends are, you may be accepted quicker next time because they know that you're going to be bringing even more activity to their site.