1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Character Age

Discussion in 'Roleplay Talk' started by rosary, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Offline

rosary Member

Total Posts:
    Okay, so I was thinking, as I was typing up my latest child character, that I've done some pretty young characters. But, and this is where the topic starts, I realized that I always have the youngest characters.

I like playing kids. It's fun, and if I rp them long-term I get to have them gradually grow up/change. Plus, parents and older siblings and doting uncles/grandparents can come into play.

(Yes, sometimes I play those too. But that's another subject.)

The questions I would like answered are:

How young are you personally comfortable making a character?

How young is the cut off point at and below which the child should be NPC'd?

If you are/were an Administrator of a site, how young would you be comfortable accepting someone who made a fairly young child character?

I understand that much of this depends on the character and the site and such, but I'd like to know personal opinions. I was thinking about it, and realized that if I consider nine years old fine, and have considered a seven year old character, then what exactly is the point where things are too young? If seven's fine, then by that logic six should be great, and if six is fine, five should be all right.

Personally, I figure five would be my cut-off. But I'll be reading over what the rest of you say before I make a concrete verdict.
  2. Offline

Chekhov's gun I'm a rattlesnake, babe.

Total Posts:
    • Awards

17, anything younger makes me pretty uncomfortable, and 17 is kind of pushing it. I don't like playing children, my usual age range is 24 - 60.

Personally? I'd say anything below 14, but that's just me.

If you are/were an Administrator of a site, how young would you be comfortable accepting someone who made a fairly young child character?

Not really. But it depends on the type of site, too. On my current site, a character younger than 16 wouldn't have much ability to really get into a lot of the plots and it would have difficulties being an independent character.
    4 people like this.
  3. Offline

Cambryn ..hotter than reality by far...

Total Posts:
    Depends on the board. On a 1/1/1 board? Or one that'd be rated as G or PG...I've done pc's (but rarely) as young as hmm..4ish? It was more to do with intellect, in that setting, and a child's ability to string enough together in a sentence to be more than completely an egocentric snack eater. You could play a two year old, naturally, but it might prove quite limiting, for a full on PC. Let's face it, a two year old is just this walking babbling Id on two small feet. Gimme, mine, now. Rinse and repeat. That's hard and boring to maintain for long stretches of play. Call me weird, but I see very young charas as like the salt in a dish, a little bit goes a long way towards making impact. I really prefer them as NPC's and not heavily played.

On a mature board, such as a 3/3/3, most places I've seen say it's an NPC till the chara reaches their maturity (this varies country to country, but is often 16-18 yo).

For me, personally, I really don't like it. I like my charas adults. 18+. Those young charas I have played as PC's were the children of my chara, and for brief cameos. It's just always been an area I feel awkward and uncomfortable with. And for that reason, really don't play on boards with a lot of under 18 players.
    1 people like this.
  4. Offline

stainsofpeach One Day at a Time

• 'D Contributor
    • Community Devoted
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Hmmm I haven't ever played a real child (as in under 13) but one of my favourite characters and the one who has been with me for years, I started when she was 14 and she has grown up over the years. She's 24 now, and changed quite a bit from back then but her premise started there.

The reason I don't play children is because I play with people who actually have kids and while I babysat as a teenager, at the moment I am literally never around kids. I just feel like I do it badly or do that thing where they are annoying when it's somehow fun for the thread and just fade into the background when the thread calls for that.
    My friend played my character's adoptive son (6) once though and even though I know it wasn't easy for her, it was some of the most meaningful interaction for that character - so I am very much a fan of child characters... I am just shy about it. I do npc kids sometimes and just hope for the best lol.

Edited to add: But I don't understand why there would be a discomfort there. I also love and adore children's books or lit fic that focusses on children and these are written by adults and about children interacting with adults. Unless there is anything iffy going on, why in the world would that make me uncomfortable?
    4 people like this.
  5. Offline

Ruffian Beast of All Saints

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    When the bulk of their thoughts are probably candy candy candy candy I'd probably NPC it. I think five would be my cut off, too.
    2 people like this.
  6. Online

Elenitsa a seadog looking for new crewmates

• 'D Contributor
    • Community Devoted
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    I used children as NPCs, but NPCs with their own personality and such, not the type played together with my character in the same post. I love Ned, who is 11, and I think the youngest NPC I played was 4 or 6. I will play a 4 years old NPC more often, since my character has become his governess.

I think it depends on the setting, for us in the 18-th century, children over 10 are OK to play even as independent characters (cabin boys, powder monkeys).
  7. Offline

Firelord Kesra Now with Nipple Tassles

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    My youngest character concept is a 5 year old who was based on the movie Drop Dead Fred. She was on an X Men site and here psychic powers were manifesting early in the form of an imaginary friend who I also played.

That was fun.
  8. Offline

Alanna the Lioness Member

Total Posts:

I'm normally willing to go about as young as five or six, but it depends if they'd have anything to do. I prefer keeping my characters close to the average age of the other characters.

It all depends on the the role play. I've done one on ones where all the characters were five years old and I've even played a two year old in a one on one before. But, normally I'd say if the character is too young to do anything in the plot, then they should be an NPC. Normally this would be around when the child is about ten to fifteen years below the average age of characters on the site.

It depends on the sites rating and if there's Playby's. With Playby's I'd be very uncomfortable accepting anyone under thirteen because some of the material can be a little questionable. Without Playby's, I'd be comfortable accepting any age characters as long as the site is rated PG-13 or below. If it's a rated R site, than the characters all should be eighteen or older just because the material can get risque.
    1 people like this.
  9. Offline

wrenly the accidental adult

Total Posts:
    The youngest I've ever played was twelve - and that's been twice, with two different characters. I think that's about as young as I'm willing to go, if only because I have the tendency to conflate all kids between the ages of 5 and 10 or so into one large behavioral group in my mind (maybe it's because it's been a while since I was that age, who knows?) and I don't want to be one of those bad RP'ers who has the 10 year old who acts like a small child or the 4 year old who's frighteningly mature/intelligent for their age.

I think under 5 is probably the cut-off age I'd give for a character before I think they should become an NPC but that could also depend a lot on how they fit into the plot/what could really be done with them on a site. As for accepting kids on sites, most of my sites don't really have much to do plot-wise for anyone under 12 or so and one doesn't even have much for anyone under 18. There's also the issue of I only play on sites who use PBs and there is a lot of issues with using PBs under 13, as some people view it as child exploitation
    1 people like this.
  10. Offline

kisstheground rpgd's favorite drunk aunt.

• 'D Contributor
    • Community Devoted
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    I've played a character as young as 6, and NPC'd right on down to fetus in the womb. I am not much of a fan of playing young characters, including teenagers (I have ONE right now, and another just out of her teens and everyone else is about 24/25 and up); I don't know why, really, perhaps because I a) have two kids (6 and 8 years old) or B) I'm really not all that interested in being a teenager again. I like to play people my age and older, and, as they're woefully underrepresented in RP, I feel good giving them a life. :)
    1 people like this.
  11. Offline

ohhsnappp Member

Total Posts:
    • Awards

I don't know, I haven't tried younger than eleven before. I think that it would be really interesting to play someone younger...and a lot of fun because their stream of consciousness seems like it would be really entertaining to write out. Personally, I'm comfortable with eleven for sure and I think I would be comfortable playing a younger role as welll, just haven't really had the opportunity. I mainly do Harry Potter sites and sadly there just isn't a lot of opportunity to play a younger child.

I would think around four or five. There isn't a whole lot that you can RP as a child younger than that, even in a rapid fire atmosphere...unless it was solely actions. However, I'd probably need to do some more research abotu cognitive development before giving a confident answer for this one.

It would depend on the site. I've only admined HP sites before but I think if someone wanted to make a younger character, like seven or eight years old, I'd be okay with accepting it...however, I'd be worried about how much plotting and threads they would get with a character that age. I don't think I would accept below seven years old, on any site.
    1 people like this.
  12. Offline

jeslylo Warning: Fangirls.

Total Posts:

I think the youngest I made was (and still is) 16. Anything below that is a no-no for me, simply because I dislike playing pre-pubescence.

Personally, I think under 11 or 12 should be NPC'd, unless the child is crucial to a plot point or development. Yes, children do have moments of brightness and genius, but not that often. And yes, they have a sense of innocence, an unadulterated view of life that is to be envied. However, as I already stated, I think a child under 11 should be NPC'd unless something drastic, plot-wise, has to happen to them.

This depends, even if the board has a PG-13 or R rating. If the player did a swell job playing the character, I'd say as young as 10 -- however, they have to have a good reason for it, and the plot for the child has to be creative and captivating. I wouldn't want to see a child on my site that's simply there, y'know?
  13. Offline

RomanHk t(^_^t)

Total Posts:
    I think I've played a total of two kids maybe and they were pretty fun. The one was fourteen and the other eleven. I'd probably not play anyone younger than that. This would be especially true in modern settings where kids are stuck in class for most of the day.
    1 people like this.
  14. Offline

Meushell *Squeal!*

Total Posts:
    Newborn. Okay, that's more of an NPC, but he aged twice as fast as humans, so it was kind of fun exploring that.

None. I don't care what age others want to play.

They can play in ureteral for all I care. Now what they do with the character is a different matter. Even if the site is rated R. It's fine as long as that rating isn't used with the child character.
    1 people like this.
  15. Offline

Vicky Member

Total Posts:
    I have a hard time playing younger characters, although I did play an eight year old once for a thread. I used to play teenagers all the time, but now…my characters are in their thirties and onward. I find it difficult to get into the mentality of a teenager or a child.

...Then again, I can't really say that, either. I play a mother (37) who's bubbly, immature, and pretty much acts like a stereotypical teenage girl despite having a teenage son of her own. >_>' It's probably knowing that she's 37 years old in the back of my mind that lets me play her without any problems.

How young is the cutoff point at and below which the child should be NPC'd?
    Preferably no younger than five years old, and that’s primarily for interaction purposes.

It depends on the game. For instance, on EE since it’s mostly warfare, I don’t want children running about, so I don’t accept them (with the exception of one canon who is physically an adult but with a child’s mentality now). On M, I accept them because the series is a real life mystery, and children can have their own individual roles. The series headliner was also turned into a child by a drug and as a result, frequently interacts with elementary children. On terms of acceptance, I won’t accept them if they’re younger than five years old.
  16. Offline

secondrisings All or muffin.

Total Posts:
    I probably wouldn't go younger than 14 because. Eh. I'm find playing an NPC younger than that, but I don't want to use them regularly. Sometimes they're just useful. Mostly though, I'd get bored going younger than 14, and 14-18 kind of bores me already too.

I would say it depends on the site. If you're a high school site your standards will clearly be different than some kind of real life town or something. I figure it should just be whatever makes people comfortable on the site that they're on.

Because of the way our site works, I wouldn't feel comfortable accepting anyone under the age of 14, frankly. Especially with vampires, while I like the idea of younger characters, I feel like it calls up some questionable plot lines and I'd rather not deal with the hassle and worrying about PB terms and everything.
    1 people like this.
  17. Offline

Patrick yada yada yada

Total Posts:
    I could care less about character age -- it's fiction.

The player's age might bother me, though.. if they are underage and wanting to engage in writing sex scenes.
    Characters are not real people. But the players are.
    And I don't want to be the guy that corrupted any kids online.
    1 people like this.
  18. Offline

Soph Member

Total Posts:
    For me, around 5-6. I love playing young characters (most of mine are about 15 years old.)
    Bellow 5 years old.
    1 people like this.
  19. Offline

Hiccup Haddock. "you're pouting, big baby boooo"

• Community Challenger
    • Community Devoted
    Total Posts:
    • Awards

Ten and above. In my mind (and from the viewpoint of many psychologists, too) the age of ten or so is when the child begins to branch out and develop their true sense of self and an understanding of the world around them. Before that point, there are limitations in the mindset -- unless the child is unusually precocious. I don't care if the kid is in school, or heck, if they're being abused or bullied; sad as that would be, it's real, and it happens, and my curious side would want to delve into that.

To each their own, really. I was in a one x one thread recently where the other roleplayer was writing a four-year-old, and I was quite fine with that. I think any lower than four, and the roleplaying value of the character decreases; perhaps they don't have to be an NPC, per se, but a side-character or sub-character, kinda like how older characters can have a pet with them and that features in threads. If that makes sense.

I'd be comfortable with anything, granted the child was realistically portrayed, had some use in terms of plotting, didn't break any TOS, and wasn't going to be full-on molested by any other character. >.>
    1 people like this.
  20. Offline

kitty.dawn Demon Kat

Total Posts:

My youngest character I've ever made and played with a stand alone account was five and by the time the site shut down she was seven. She was a mob child, bad family life and stuff but the guys in the mob took care of her etc. But at the same time she wasn't exposed to anything really horrible because she was protected etc. I mean, I really loved her character because despite being so little she was one of my most interesting and indepth characters. Next would be my Blake, who's two but I have him attached to his mom's account so I just NPC him really... still, I'm the only one who does so he's technically still my character exclusively but I don't see the point in making a standalone account for him until he gets older.

Really depends on the site. I mean, I can't say much because I had Brynn on that mob site xD but along with that it depends on what you're comfortable with rping, what other people are, what exactly you're going to be getting the kid into etc. You're not going to put the kid into some sort of creepy circumstance that makes everyone uncomfortable etc. I mean, mature sites it should probably be 16 - 18, but then you've got Harry Potter sites where 11 is sort of an obvious choice.

It would depend on how the character was written. A three year old who's just going to wander around and scream if she doesn't get her way isn't much of a character but if someone can rp a child properly then I don't see a problem with it as long as everything stays fairly PG for that kid. I guess it just all depends on the situation.
    1 people like this.