1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blending Fun!

Discussion in 'Digital' started by Time Lord Stalker, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Offline

Time Lord Stalker Allons-y!

Total Posts:
    So I've noticed that as time wears on, blends have become more and more popular. When did this really begin, though? I wasn't exposed to blends until probably a few months ago at best. I've also come to realize.. There aren't that many decent blend tutorials out there. So, where does one truly learn how to blend? Is it trial and error? Does a person learn from a friend who learned from a friend? *Strokes chin*

So.. How did you get started doing blends, those of you who do said blending?
  2. Offline

MrsRGrint New Member

Total Posts:
    Well, when I started making blends a while back it was just a case of making a larger image to crop down to a signature size and I ended up with something I preferred as a larger image than as a sig sized image. I didn't really learn from other people since, like you said there aren't that many decent tutorials out there so I basically just set about making things that I thought looked cool in a large form. It was definitely trial and error and for some pieces it worked, for others it really REALLY didn't.
    1 people like this.
  3. Offline

kismet "hack it 'til it works"

• Emerging Artist
    • 'D Contributor
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Google. If you google something extensively enough, you're going to get a lot out of it. I swear, sometimes I think the whole world's on google -- you just have to look hard enough.

Then just do it. Over and over again. How I learn to do stuff in PS is (slightly unhealthy) just by doing things until I'm satisfied. Unless I think I've done it better than what I've seen out there or at least as well, I don't stop.

That's my advice to anyone. :)
  4. Offline

nadja R e d r u m [tastes] |like| b.l.o.o.d.

• Emerging Artist
    • 'D Contributor
    • Community Challenger
    • Community Devoted
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    NEARLY everything that i've learned has been trial and error. i take up a tut here and there and then go on with whatever i think might work. i look at other people and see what they're doing and try to make it my own style.
  5. Online

Oswin Oswald Run. Run you clever boy, and remember.

• Novice Reviewer
    • 'D Contributor
    • Community Devoted
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    I've never fond a tutorial which would teach me to blend. I mean I know there are tutorials for blends like the huge big images kind of blends, but I would like want fit for a signature. Like I can learn to make a whole signature including how to blend two images together. I know the basics, but I could never use it to make something amazing like I've seen others do. XP

In saying that, all of the tutorials on signatures simply tell you 'blend the two images together' and they just gloss over the 'how to blend the two images together' because they automatically think you'll known how to. x.x So I've never found a tutorial to teach me that and use it for a signature.
  6. Offline

heartbeat Why is the rum always gone?

• Emerging Artist
    • 'D Contributor
    • Community Devoted
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Funny enough I was thinking about making a blending tutorial o.O
  7. Offline

GIZIBE not bad meaning bad, but bad meaning good you know

• Emerging Artist
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Des you know you're not patient enough for tutorials haha

But with blending, it's what i've been doing since I've started graphics, and there are a few different ways to blend. When I got serious about graphic I joined RCR and learned a heck of a lot. I learned how to blend through vector masks in photoshop there and in my opinion it is by far the best way to blend lolz
  8. Offline

Vanity Nah nah nah

Total Posts:
    Back in the day, I just looked for images with similar backgrounds and used a really big soft eraser-brush to get rid of the bits I didn't want.

Now it depends what I'm blending together, there are a few ways to do it.
    1 people like this.
  9. Offline

justine Member

Total Posts:
    I don't think there could ever be one definitive tutorial for blending though. A lot of it, I feel, is very circumstantial and some things will just inevitably be easier to blend then others. I would just look at few images and try to piece things together visually and look at a lot of photoshop masking tutorials and tricks. It's just really hard to find a simple 'do this. now this. now bam, a blend!'. You have to sort of adapt the process to whatever it is you're trying to mess.

I just sort of... cheat a little and find images pretty similar in lighting, contrast or color and use those to lump into photoshop. Clone tool was recently my best friend in combing two different stock photos to find to make the banner for my site. I honestly ended up just deleting the entire sky from both of them and dropping in an entire new stock photo behind it 'cause I couldn't get it to look right, hahaha.

I think it's a tricky slope to give pointers on.. you just have to experiment until you find a process that works well for you.
  10. Offline

shelby ?! Member

Total Posts:
    I've pretty much taught myself everything about photoshop, and got exposed to a few graphic forums. I first learned blending a while back, almost when I first started doing graphics. I wish I could remember what board I learned it on though, because you are right. There aren't many tutorials. I just look at galleries on sites and deviantart to help me out.
  11. Online

Misha Starlight Queen of Directory

• Community Devoted
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    I started doing very basic "blends" in Paint by copying and pasting, but my first real blends were through using the selection tool, feathering the edges, and deleting. I figured this out with various tutorials. In fact, I actually made my own tutorial for Photoplus about 5 years ago, based on a Photoshop tutorial I found. (Few people use Photoplus, and I'd been asked about blends.)

In the 5 years since I made that tutorial, I've learned quite a bit about making signature images and the like. I mostly use masks these days for blending, but I try other techniques as well.