1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aol Roleplayers?

Discussion in 'Roleplay Talk' started by aesthetically, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Offline

aesthetically Guest

So, I've seen a few people mention AOL here and there, and I was just wondering .. how many of you here started roleplaying on AOL, or have even RPed in AOL chats at all? I personally learned to roleplay in the AOL chatrooms when I was just turning 11 (I'm now two months shy of being 22) and used the crap out of them til a few years ago, when AOL RP started to go dead. I would roleplay heavily over the summers, but since I started working on top of school and stuff, the group I played with kind of dissolved due to school, work, studying abroad, etc.

So .. who else has played on AOL? I wanna know if I recognize any of you people XD I went by "Leopardspot89" when I was quite young but then moved to a handful of other screennames, such as "Iightning box", "siIent cacophony", "toxic alIure", "celluloid scream", and others.
    verbose likes this.
  2. Offline

Roswenth Oops.

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    I guess technically I did, but it was in the AOL MUD Gemstone III. I honestly don't remember what my name was. Milyn I think.
  3. Offline

Ashluvie Member

Total Posts:
    XD I used to roleplay in the AOL chats too. I used to play in the Charmed, Buffy, and Medieval RPs there. My sn is still the same! Mostly because I made it when I was like 10 with the help of my daddy and he refused to let me make a new one on AOL. Fairyfly2005 was/is my name. And if you remember me, don't judge me too harshly...I swear my roleplaying skills only got better with age; I'm now 23. LMAO! ^_^
  4. Offline

darkslavechaos Your Nemesis

Total Posts:
    I was never big on chat RP but back when I first started, a group of others and I formed the 'Guardians' and 'Ethereal Guardians' groups on a forum that really didn't like off topic RP. As such, our topics would get deleted and moved and whenever they did, we'd flick over to AIM and make our own chatrooms. It was really entertaining and my AIM username is actually a combination of my very first character (named after me, of course) and her mother.

That was about ten years ago too - and I'm about two and a half months away from being 22 xDD
  5. Offline

aesthetically Guest

I used to run a crime-based SL called "Draw Dead" its first summer .. it kind of turned into a seasonal SL when we would only play during the summer, cause when it first started out most of us were still in high school and were only interested in playing during the summer. The second summer it was Courez Morte, the third it was Dead Deception, fourth was Dead Vice, and fifth was Dead Solace. Ah, good times. <3 We tried a sixth installment called Dead Roulette, but it never came to be.
  6. Offline

macabremarionette ``please avert your eyes;;

Total Posts:
    For a number of years AOL roleplaying is what I did. I started when I was nine, and that's almost ten years ago. :3 I remember stumbling into one of the roleplay rooms and wondering what the heck it was, and I fell in love. Here I am today, an addict! I haven't roleplayed on AOL in quite some time, but I was thinking about finding an IM-based RP. I still talk to some of my early AOL RP friends.. well. I did, until a year or so ago. He just started to piss me off. xD

I was in one that lasted a few years, with a few friends. It's, to this day, my most remembered and cherished roleplays. It was an AU Gundam RP.
  7. Offline

Vicky Member

Total Posts:
    Aw man, I remember the good ol’ days of AOL. I started RPing there when I was nine and kept RPing there until I discovered Yahoo. I was known as Muun Usako back in those days and I used to hang out in the Sailor Moon or Tenchi Muyo! rooms. I think years ago though, back when I tried to get into the game again, I was known as DaIma Tia in the PotC rooms. Unfortunately, I don’t use AOL or AIM anymore considering I rarely remember to turn it on. XD.
  8. Offline

Overlord_Fate Also, I'm awesome

• Novice Reviewer
    • Emerging Artist
    • 'D Contributor
    • Community Challenger
    • Community Devoted
    • Multi-tasker
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    I definitely did some online RPing via AOL, and that was long before I realized that you could even do text based forums. I guess i didn't realize that people would ever think of running such a thing, even though I had several friends and we all ran our characters together. Was quite a lot of fun, and has several good memories for me ^.^
  9. Offline

Peace Loving Chick Revolutions, Freedom, Equality!

• Emerging Artist
    Total Posts:
    I'm mostly a chat rp'er with 3 friends of mine on MSN.We have some intresting plots. *points to avatar and sig*
  10. Offline

Meushell *Squeal!*

Total Posts:
    Started in AOL. Anyone remember Rhydin? It was made of several member made, but pubic, chatrooms. You created a special screen name for your character and used the profile entirely for his/her information. It was medieval/fantasy and used dice. It was possible for your character to be attacked without permission. Later it became acceptable to list what wasn't allowed in the profile. "No AA, RA, SA, or TA" would mean there could not be attempts in assassination, rape, enslaving, or theft. Though if your character was attacked, you could find someone with high dice to attempt to resurrect them. Those with high dice had a better chance of succeeding. If you didn't want to be attacked though, and there was trouble, you could just leave the room and find another. Some of the popular rooms were All Creatures Tavern, Suicide Cliffs, Rhydin Hot Springs, and Rape Alley. There were also just a large amount of taverns, forests, and other stuff. A lot of the lesser known rooms had Rhydin in the name to show they were open to Rhydiners.
  11. Offline

lovetap New Member

Total Posts:
    ^Omgosh, I remember dice! I did some playing over AOL, not a whole bunch and it's been forever since I did so I highly doubt my username still exists, but it was a bunch of fun from what I remember. Moved on to MSN for a bit though, and then just got stuck on forums. Aww I miss it now :T
  12. Offline

Gossamer ........I've got nothing

Total Posts:
    Oh wow, I remember Rhydin and some of those rooms! AOL was what got me into roleplaying. I started out when I was like....7 or 8 on the Digimon forums and then got into some IM and chatroom roleplaying. After a while, I broke out of the Digimon stuff and started wandering around different chatrooms and pretty much exclusively did medieval-fantasy.

My screenname back then was Angellight8118. Another Digimon reference. XD
  13. Offline

aesthetically Guest

I learned to roleplay in Rhy'Din XD I used to hang out in All Creatures Tavern a LOTTT as well at the 547356 variations of the Medieval Tavern. I helped run a vampire-themed tavern for a while when I was like 13 but it quickly fell under. God, those rooms were amazing back in the 90s/early 00's <3
  14. Offline

mandarific WHOA HI.

• Community Devoted
    Total Posts:
    ~~~POOL PARTY~~~

EDIT: Now that I am done cracking up. xD This was the beginning of my AOL roleplaying days. I'm pretty sure my first username was ScatCat295. After one of my favorite beanie babies. Maybe, actually. I'm not entirely positive. I did a lot of POOL PARTY OMG ~~~|o|~~~ adventures. I think it was because I was like, eight at the time. it seemed cool.
  15. Offline

team KURT and BLAINE<3 Member

Total Posts:
    Well I started rping on AOL years ago. I loved it and well I stopped because I got into boards and such, but now I just think it's so much better becuase being one on one with another person is just awesome and it makes you create a sort of depth for your character. Or at least that's what I think.
  16. Offline

aesthetically Guest

ROFL that reminds me of neopets roleplaying! Omg those pool parties were so hip.
  17. Offline

EveningEpiphany Scarlett Letters

Total Posts:
    I think I used to really love AOL RP when it was at that weird stage of DBZ everywhere... Also how weird was it that every one ended up a Prince or Princess in Rhydin????? I think yes I learned to RP by watching first before joining into the RP scene on AOL. I don't think I ever played much with anyone else aside from my main partner Lynn. Others really just came and left but that was the beauty of AOL it didn't matter much.

I enjoyed IM RP more then anything with small numbers three at most. I still am that way I prefer smaller groups didn't matter how many characters. AOL RPers have their own language lol Muns.. wow weird haven't used that term in a long while. Bebo killed RP for me and I would like to mention that 7.0 was my favorite AOL version. I talk still to some people who RP on AOL they are old stubborn farts that refuse to move to forums cause they like IM instant RP gratification. Hey me too but I have no time for that anymore. Maybe when I was younger but lately nope. I prefer to keep emails or threads on a board. Which sucks most AOL users are die hard fans of the RP chat room. Which I find kinda lame I guess now waiting around for a hit or miss if your going to RP with someone for more then a week.

Also I like mentioning Horse Guy. Cause to this day he is still a big mystery to me.
  18. Offline

aesthetically Guest

LOL Horse Guy! I was hoping someone would mention him. Freaking Horse Guy and his .. horseness. He asked me and my friends to RP his horse on many, many occasions.

Also, I was so mad about bebo I made a screenname called "death a la bebo" and made random appearances in RP chatrooms. It was a big hit XD
  19. Offline

Bellerophon Member

Total Posts:
    I roleplayed on AOL during the heyday and belonged to a couple of posting groups and Star Trek games.

I miss that occasionally. But I still use a couple of the characters now.
  20. Offline

Vicky Member

Total Posts:
    Even though I don’t have anything else to say, I thought I’d mention I remember Rhydin. I didn’t go into those rooms, but I think if I recall correctly they were always at the top of the list. xD. Man, this brings back memories. <3