1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Almost 100% I've Seen This....

Discussion in 'Roleplay Talk' started by kumo, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Offline

Mermaid Luciana In my own world under the sea

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Every boarding school site I joined when I was younger, and the occasional one I'm on now is overun with sex threads. girl-girl, guy-guy, or girl-guy, there's always sex everywhere on the form. It's one reason why I tend to stay away from any site that has a dorm-system.

Am I just running across these sites by bad luck or have other people noticed this too?
  2. Offline

stainsofpeach One Day at a Time

• 'D Contributor
    • Community Devoted
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    I have noticed how many threads here complain about sex in boarding school rps...

Said it before, will say it again: I was at a boarding school for a year. And sex is pretty much everything anybody thinks about. It's not really that surprising: push a bunch of teenagers together day and night... a big hormone soup of lust. Couple that with rp land which takes both the risk to be caught and expelled AND the crippling shyness away and of course they are overrun with sex threads.
    Yes, it's boring. The only thing that is beyond me is how that is still somehow surprising. (Or really, why boards are set up with the only playable characters being teenagers -- and I suppose teachers.) Cause... really... teenage years are pretty much the least interesting time in our lives when you take away the spring awakening so to speak. What else happens there? Cliques, drinking and bullying and... what, studying?
    22 people like this.
  3. Offline

Cambryn ..hotter than reality by far...

Total Posts:
    Yeah.....you can only write but so many threads along the vein of "And then I studied for biology and physics.." or..."And then I walked to class." Sex does seem to be the main spin of a lot of teenage boarding school rp, but, as stainsofblue said, those years are often limited in their decision making choices, and thus, for a writer, can be kinda...inherently boring. It takes some real skill to milk out great ongoing roleplay based on a fixed location, steep ic rules, and teenager angst.
    6 people like this.
  4. Offline

Ruffian Beast of All Saints

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    With stainsofblue.

I mean, what were you hoping to join the RP for? Some wicked fun threads about sitting in the library?

High school was boring as crap. I don't understand anyone who would willingly go back to that time and re-invest a bunch of energy into it. I've never been interested in any sort of high school RP for exactly that reason. The one or two teenagers I've ever played, I barely touched upon their high school lives at all. Booooooo-ring.
    13 people like this.
  5. Offline

Kajouka Thunder Rumbling, Castles Crumbling

• Radical RPer
    • 'D Contributor
    • Community Challenger
    • Community Devoted
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Ditto what you guys said. What else are you going to RP? I'm not sure I understand the appeal of any of those types of RPs, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Point is, they're out there. If you're not interested in them, avoid them and join something else.

(P.S. come on, the library is ROCKIN'!)
    7 people like this.
  6. Offline

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Well there's always other drama you could play out
    "i caght x and x kissing in the hallway, he's cheating on you"
    and sometimes school events are interesting.
    1 people like this.
  7. Offline

Ruffian Beast of All Saints

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    ^ Oh dear Lord Dx Like, whatever floats your boat, but I would die of boredom if I ever RP'd at a place where the best thing I could look forward to was threading a gym-room DANCE or something. Good God those were barely any fun when I was living them.
    6 people like this.
  8. Offline

stainsofpeach One Day at a Time

• 'D Contributor
    • Community Devoted
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Kissing is a sexual act. People like to somehow put walls between "just kissing or touching" and actually sex - but it's a sliding progression and a kiss can be more intimate than sex. Kissing is a sexual act, people do it because it's arousing. Plus, how long can you play kissing until that gets boring and you have to go further?
    11 people like this.
  9. Offline

Nashira Member

Total Posts:
    ...I'm kind of inclined that's to say what non-Hogwarts (and even then...) rpgs are often for. I mean if you're going to play teenagers in a confined location it's going to happen. Or at the very least, attempt to happen.
    4 people like this.
  10. Offline

Joelle Member

Total Posts:
    I have seen an overemphasis on sex not only on school RPs but RL ones as well. This is why I don't play them. Sure, those things are nice once in awhile, but does it have to be every thread? This drives me up the wall. Is there not ANYTHING else to write about? I'm getting to the point where I wouldn't care if a character told me everything about themselves including what they ate for breakfast as long as the thread wasn't about sex. Ugh!

And yeah, someone seeing X cheating on Y is fun!
    3 people like this.
  11. Offline

Total Posts:
    • Awards
    I've also noticed some vetern rp players who just done 'the dirty' so many times they just fade to black cause its uninteresting XD
    I totally agree with you Joelle though. There's other things to write about besides sex =/
    3 people like this.
  12. Online

Johanna's Striptease That was fun! Let's do it again sometime

• Novice Reviewer
    • Emerging Artist
    • 'D Contributor
    • Community Devoted
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    I see this a lot in any school RP, be it magical or not. Whic, frankly, frustrates me to no end. I'm not saying that sex doesn't happen in high school or that the fact that it does is bad, but seriously there is so much more you can do than have sex. Teenagers do a ton of stupid, crazy impulsive things that have nothing to do with sex. Add magic and superpowers to those crazy things and there is a recipe for instant fun plotting. Have an broom racing circuit. Have someone whip of a Polyjuice potion to impresante a professor, prefect/Head student. Try and enchant one of the boats into a submarine so you can go down and have a conversation with the giant squid.

It's like, seriously, you have wands, spells, potions and brooms and all you can think of for plotting is sneaking away for five minutes of heaven in the broom cupboard, really?
    6 people like this.
  13. Offline

Joelle Member

Total Posts:
    Ride a vacuum cleaner home in the absence of your car, like Sabrina the Teenage Witch did.
    Command your homework to do itself. Then watch.
    Turn your profs into toads if they assign too much homework.. (I'd love to see that!)

And that's just the magic stuff.

Non magic:

Have sleepovers (non-sexual ones) in your dorm. With pillow fights. And popcorn. And pizza. And a movie.

Have someone jump out a window for the sheer stupidity of it.

Go to jail for something. You'll find out you like school better than juvie.
    2 people like this.
  14. Offline

xexes Happy exclamation mark all the things!

• Novice Reviewer
    • 'D Contributor
    • Community Devoted
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    I'm noticing a trend of sex as a side to everything. Harry potter. Twilight. Futuristic. Anthropomorphic.

I'm tired of it. But that's why we have [M] labels, right?
    I stopped reading them when I discovered free streaming adult-video sites.
    1 people like this.
  15. Offline

Hobo New Member

Total Posts:
    Oh, man, this thread makes me grateful for my happy little sexless boarding school RP. I don't wander the RP world very much, so every time I'm reminded what RL rps are usually like I'm always amazed that I somehow managed to stumble directly onto the only one that I'd be happy in. Because I actually really like RL rping? For me, setting is really secondary to characters and plot, and a no-brainer setting like a boarding school frees me up to pay attention to the fun stuff (like wannabe journalists stalking TOTALLY DRUG DEALERS at the mall) instead of worrying over stuff that's less important to me (like what slang was around in the 18th century or whether my description of a space restaurant sounds inaccurate). That said, I can't imaaagine how boring it would be if I had to focus on what actual teenagers do in actual boarding schools. HECK YEAH, LET'S THREAD A GROUP PROJECT IN BIOLOGY CLASS! Boinkin' in the library would probably start to look pretty appealing.

(Also, how does dorm sex even work? Are all the rooms coed and private, or do all the characters just happen to be REALLY GOOD at sneaking in at times when their four or five roommates aren't in?)

(Also also, oh man, I wanna write a sleepover now. You could even work defenestration in and kill two birds with one stone. Pillow fights can get ugly.)
    1 people like this.
  16. Offline

wrenly the accidental adult

Total Posts:
    Ditto-ing what most people have already said. For RL boarding school RP, there's only so much you can get up to. And while school events and teenage angst/drama are fun, there's a limit on how often these sorts of threads can happen before they get repetitive or ridiculous (maybe I'm strange but I've never heard of a school having a major event once a week). Although reasonably the same could be said about sex, but I suppose it's what a lot of people's minds go to when they think of teenagers kept in close quarters with each other without much else to do besides hanging out or schoolwork.

That's why I personally prefer adding fantasy or sci-fi elements to any boarding school RP; that and I really have no desire to go re-do my high school years again. It gives you more things to do and can make even doing mundane things like homework more fun. Plus when you're throwing around magic or mutant powers, even sex can become something more interesting than just... sex (my favorite example of this, I play a pyrokinetic student on an X-Men site. His powers are closely tied to his emotional state so whenever he gets too 'happy' he occasionally sets stuff on fire. This has made things very interesting for his girlfriend and him, to the point where they haven't even had sex yet because they're still trying to work out the logistics of it)
  17. Offline

Chele Writer:odd being that transforms caffeine to books

• 'D Contributor
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    While I do agree with Stainsofblue that if you're putting a school's worth of teenagers together day and night things are bound to happen, I don't agree that it's the only thing you can write about in a school setting.

Yes, there are only so many threads you can write about sitting in the library studying, but there are also a lot of other topics that can be explored.

Examples:
    Sports
    - the stress of whether or not you get on the team.
    - student taking on too much and struggling to keep up with sports and their homework.
    - rivalries with other schools - playing pranks on them etc.
    - Whether or not you get on with your team mates and the trouble that brings.

Other School Activities
    - Drama club - which plays, fighting for parts, learning lines, getting sets made, promotion, show night.
    - Class presidency - Underhanded tactics, the topics at hand, convincing people to vote for you.
    - Homecoming King/Queen etc - Convincing people to vote for you, the cat fights that inevitably happen, the big night, shopping for dresses/tux, problems with money to get said dress/tux.

- Bullying
    - Unrequited crush
    - Friendship fallouts
    - Getting into College stress
    - Homesickness!

Yes, sex is an understandable part of being a teenager, but it is not the only path worth exploring. If all an RL boarding school was was about sex, I'd probably be looking for another site because there are a lot of other interesting storylines worth exploring as well!
    10 people like this.
  18. Offline

Joelle Member

Total Posts:

I think you'd be looking for a long time, Chele.... :(
    2 people like this.
  19. Offline

Chele Writer:odd being that transforms caffeine to books

• 'D Contributor
    Total Posts:
    • Awards
    Gosh-n-darnit! You make me want to create a Boarding School site for people to have epic non-sex related adventures and plots.
    6 people like this.
  20. Offline

Sunreon brain overload, reboot

Total Posts:
    Maaaaaaaaaaaybe that is a good plan, Chele! See a need, fill a need? It sounds like an awesome idea.
    3 people like this.