Members' Choice Winners
Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply

How To Get A Member Ip To Ban
If It's Not Broken, Fix It Until It Is
Awards: None
   Aug 8 2018, 12:58 AM
So I'm asking for a friend of mine because well, I love her and she's unsure how to ask herself.

IP Banning is a serious thing and disallows someone on your site via banning their IP so they cannot see it what-so-ever.

She has bad history with a person and its leading her to create her own site but she doesn't want this person on there. The only problem is she doesn't know how to get this persons IP address without her being a member on the board itself or being staff on another board.

How can she go about getting this person's IP so she can ban it so she can feel safe in her haven?

Also- I hope this is the right place to ask this question.

--------------------

Aug 8 2018, 02:22 AM
I don't really think there is any ethical means of obtaining it. She can't very well demand it.

My advice to her is that she can just not sweat it. In owning is a site there a lot of joy in it. There is also a lot of responsibility. But that also comes with the right to remove anyone off her site that she wishes to not be there. She can really do that. So just tell her to relax. Cross that bridge if the person wanders over. The way I see it, by creating a site you are opening yourself up to possible 'bad eggs' and trolls anyways, that's part of running a site, so this person she is avoiding would fall under that category.

She should not let this bother her. She can still feel safe knowing she can remove them if she has to.

--------------------
user posted image

Original Medieval-esque Steampunk-y Fantasy

[no word count] [premium jcink] [3-3-3] [no activity checks] [intermediate/all welcome]

Aug 8 2018, 04:06 AM
QUOTE (Maevis @ Aug 4 2018, 06:22 PM)
The way I see it, by creating a site you are opening yourself up to possible 'bad eggs' and trolls anyways, that's part of running a site, so this person she is avoiding would fall under that category. .

All the sites I've been to haven't had bad eggs or trolls...that I know of.

Anyway, I used to worry about trolls and bad eggs and that seemed to attract 'em to my sites back in the day. Don't let it bother you and deal with it as they come.
I'm just the left-over rubble from a disaster.
   Aug 8 2018, 04:12 AM
Thank you for making this for me Kura, it's really hard for me to talk about this subject.

Maevis, I thank you for your advice and it is very good advice, but the reason I am trying to take pre-emptive action is because this person has for 2 years been giving me almost non-stop grief. I can't even begin to explain all she's put me through and her knowledge of where I go, so this is what I am hoping to make into my true safe-haven from her.

She has knowledge of my social media as well, making preventing her from finding it extremely hard. Waiting for her to join and having to ban her is all it took for her to stir up drama in my last attempt.

I'm obviously not going to name this person, but suffice to say she's not just a bad egg, I can handle those. This is a personal matter unfortunately that I wish didn't exist, but all the same on her side of this it remains so I'm looking for options to make a firewall, for lack of better word.

--------------------
user posted image

Aug 8 2018, 11:57 AM
While I'm not sure one can find someone else's IP easily, there's always the option to manually approve everyone who joins your site (exactly how to do it depends on the platform). It's time consuming and adds an extra layer of work for staff, but it's worth the extra work, in my opinion, in order to keep unsavory people out.

If it's at all possible, I'd consider that (I use it myself for other reasons I'm not going into right now).

--------------------
Shades
Official Drama Trash Whore™

Aug 8 2018, 12:20 PM
I'm so sorry you're going through this! I hope things get better for you. Unfortunately, I don't know how to obtain another person's IP address out of the blue, however, you can monitor your site by looking up the IP address of all lurkers and new members by using this helpful tool: https://whatismyipaddress.com/ip-lookup

So long as you know the city/general area this person is from, you should be able to figure out if it is them (unless they've gone through the trouble of using a VPN, in which case they have too much time on their hands and I'm sorry).

Yes, there are RPers from all over the place, but generally, it's rare for two RPers to be from exactly the same city unless they're related/friends in real life. It's still a gamble, but hopefully, this can make you feel a little bit more secure!

--------------------
user posted image
   Aug 8 2018, 08:18 PM
QUOTE (Shades @ Aug 8 2018, 04:57 AM)
While I'm not sure one can find someone else's IP easily, there's always the option to manually approve everyone who joins your site (exactly how to do it depends on the platform). It's time consuming and adds an extra layer of work for staff, but it's worth the extra work, in my opinion, in order to keep unsavory people out.

If it's at all possible, I'd consider that (I use it myself for other reasons I'm not going into right now).

user posted image Thank you so much for this! I didn't know about this feature at all! My site is on proboards but I found what you were explaining. This will be a great help, it will give me a chance to check IP and email before I accept members. It may be a bit troublesome but it's very worth it.

QUOTE (Saturnalia Soul @ Aug 8 2018, 05:20 AM)
I'm so sorry you're going through this! I hope things get better for you. Unfortunately, I don't know how to obtain another person's IP address out of the blue, however, you can monitor your site by looking up the IP address of all lurkers and new members by using this helpful tool: https://whatismyipaddress.com/ip-lookup

user posted image Thank you for that link, I didn't know anything like that was available.

--------------------
user posted image

Aug 8 2018, 11:44 PM
QUOTE (Envis @ Aug 5 2018, 12:18 PM)
QUOTE (Shades @ Aug 8 2018, 04:57 AM)

user posted image Thank you so much for this! I didn't know about this feature at all! My site is on proboards but I found what you were explaining. This will be a great help, it will give me a chance to check IP and email before I accept members. It may be a bit troublesome but it's very worth it.

Happy to be of help! I'm on Jcink, but I believe every platform has (or should have) this option. It's a life-saver! //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/wink.gif

--------------------
Shades
Official Drama Trash Whore™

Aug 9 2018, 09:14 AM
QUOTE (Envis @ Aug 4 2018, 08:12 PM)

She has knowledge of my social media as well, making preventing her from finding it extremely hard. Waiting for her to join and having to ban her is all it took for her to stir up drama in my last attempt.

Have you blocked her on social media? Because yikes, that's extra sleezy, and that's coming from me (the girl who had to move a thousand miles to get away from a stalker ex, side note: epic fail). I mean, I really only use Facebook--I know, I'm old--so I don't know jack about most social media. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

--------------------

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
   Aug 9 2018, 10:13 AM
QUOTE (brindy @ Aug 9 2018, 02:14 AM)
QUOTE (Envis @ Aug 4 2018, 08:12 PM)

Have you blocked her on social media? Because yikes, that's extra sleezy, and that's coming from me (the girl who had to move a thousand miles to get away from a stalker ex, side note: epic fail). I mean, I really only use Facebook--I know, I'm old--so I don't know jack about most social media. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Unfortunately she knows mine but I don't know what hers are, otherwise I would have blocked her immediately.
Don't worry about feeling old, lol, I'm not a big user of social media either, usually just twitter for the laughs and youtube. Youtube unfortunately is where she's got me on a 2-year watch and has at least two other people with her that are constantly going after my uploads with thumbs down or a nasty comment. >.<

--------------------
user posted image

Aug 9 2018, 06:55 PM
Oh damn. Well... this might be a stretch but have you ever considered making a “trap”? It might take some work but make s sure she sees it and joins //files.jcink.net/html/emoticons/wink.gif so you can get her ip. I am down for registering on a site for you to just add a “member” to the roster.

I wouldn’t even use the same name for your admin account. Make a member account for yourself and an admin.

--------------------
user posted image

Original Medieval-esque Steampunk-y Fantasy

[no word count] [premium jcink] [3-3-3] [no activity checks] [intermediate/all welcome]

I won't give up on my life I'm a warrior queen
Awards: 1

Aug 9 2018, 07:22 PM
If she has an email address she can try to reverse look up the email, it might show the IP address

--------------------
*fixed*user posted image
RP Genres I love: Historical Fiction, Arranged Marriage, Mutants (Xmen), Vampires, Anime (message me if you have a site that fits these genres!user posted image
Jcink Facebook Support Group
My Tumblr!
   Aug 10 2018, 04:45 AM
QUOTE (Maevis @ Aug 9 2018, 11:55 AM)
Oh damn. Well... this might be a stretch but have you ever considered making a “trap”? It might take some work but make s sure she sees it and joins ;) so you can get her ip. I am down for registering on a site for you to just add a “member” to the roster.

I wouldn’t even use the same name for your admin account. Make a member account for yourself and an admin.

A trap, huh? That's not a bad idea but it's something I'm not going to stoop to. Not to offend you for thinking of it, it's just not my style.

QUOTE (synpastel @ Aug 9 2018, 12:22 PM)
If she has an email address she can try to reverse look up the email, it might show the IP address

I didn't know that was a thing. I'll try that but she's thus far I can't even grab her email. She seems to make it private everywhere. Not that I blame that, I don't like putting my email out either. I could have gotten it from the old site but she had a nasty little flip the table incident when she started this and erased all her stuff and account, so I have nowhere to go to get it.

--------------------
user posted image

Aug 10 2018, 09:06 PM
As someone that ran a board once that had a stalker that followed me like a shadow, I have to say, the best thing you can do is use wisdom online with not giving out personal information, and moderate posts of new members until you are sure you are not dealing with your stalker, or whatever. A lot of people make the mistake of trusting some one with personal information when they really should not. Being smart online at all times is very important. There are nice strangers, but there are bad ones too. IP address look up isn't going to be much help if they use a VPN. There are other steps you can take though, its only legal to use a VPN for legal purposes. If they are a real problem, you may just have to get the authorities involved.
   Aug 10 2018, 11:36 PM
QUOTE (Sophia Belanger @ Aug 10 2018, 02:06 PM)
As someone that ran a board once that had a stalker that followed me like a shadow, I have to say, the best thing you can do is use wisdom online with not giving out personal information, and moderate posts of new members until you are sure you are not dealing with your stalker, or whatever. A lot of people make the mistake of trusting some one with personal information when they really should not. Being smart online at all times is very important. There are nice strangers, but there are bad ones too. IP address look up isn't going to be much help if they use a VPN. There are other steps you can take though, its only legal to use a VPN for legal purposes.  If they are a real problem, you may just have to get the authorities involved.

I don't give away my personal information, that's not how this mess started. This person did threaten all of my social medias ect. but I knew they didn't have access to like facebook or that kind of thing. However, she piggybacked onto my skype, found my youtube account from sharing videos I've made, and knew of my deviantart page because we were both doing manips back then. The problem with this person is the threat they made 2 years ago to "wipe you off the internet" is working not by personal slander, but by slandering my online alias everywhere I go. I've already changed my name once to what it is now, but it didn't do anything to shake her off. No matter what I change she's lied left and right and turned even a few friends against me and when I talk to them she told them some outrageous story that I was the one stalking her, at least that was one recount I was given.

I don't think my personal life is her goal, I think her goal is to ensure I can never enjoy myself online anymore. I have blocked her on dA, Skype, ect. and in the end you're probably right that this is past what I can do anymore. I've been running and hiding for two years - I was stupid and didn't report the cyberbullying right when it started with the slander and threats. I thought she'd have her little tirade and would drop it after that I never expected it to be so serious and for her to continue, but as she's still finding ways to watch me and get involved.

What I'm seeing more and more from this thread is there's really little I can do. If I made this site and managed to ban her IP, it's likely she'd use something/someone else to get it. I suppose legal actions will have to be the next step. I never want to cause such a fuss, but then, if I had reacted accordingly two years ago I probably wouldn't need to do it now. Better late than never I suppose, especially since online is my home away from home that I really need. I need the constant breathing-down-my-neck-on-every-site feeling to be gone so I can enjoy myself again.

--------------------
user posted image
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
Fast Reply