Members' Choice Winners

Add Reply

Brothers Of Elysium - Feedback Wanted, before officially opening

Awards: None
   Jul 31 2018, 07:04 PM
Name of Board: Brothers of Elysium
Link to Board: https://boe.jcink.net/index.php?act=idx
Short description of Board: We're loosely based off of the fantasy book series of the same name, written by our very own admin. Angels have been fighting their fallen brothers for millennia with no victor having emerged, while the humans somehow always manage to get caught up in the middle somehow. And of course, the defeated, old gods and their lackeys watch silently in the background, praying for destruction and awaiting another chance. Mostly focused on the angel-demon war, for now.

Analysis Notes: Disregard the lack of activity, as we've been undergoing a full-scale revamp and are starting fresh, inching closer to an official launch. We don't currently have a banner/affiliate button/advert, but are looking to change that before the actual opening.

What I'd like to have reviewed is the default skin, and our custom pages - rules, factions, species/anatomy/powers and abilities, history, etc. (The culture page is not complete but you are free to review what is there.)

How easy is it to navigate? How is it on the eyes? (There's light colorschemes as well) Are things clear and readable and easy to find? Are the pages easy to understand and reasonably laid out? Are we being entirely too long-winded or are things reasonable? How easy is it for an outsider to understand what's going on? Does our process for character creation make sense?

And of course any other constructive feedback would be appreciated.

Link to profile on the Board: kjSage

Aug 7 2018, 04:44 PM
Feedback still very much wanted!

Aug 10 2018, 09:35 PM
Appearance:

I see you're missing a banner and even just a default 100x100 icon upon viewing the site. I am guessing that has to be changed via when I register/login. The site is easy to read though which is great for people who cannot see very well. I see that finding links is easy. These should be shown to guests and members somewhere to view them with ease.

The site also loaded fast for me. I do like the font style and the black theme overall, though! The footer showed me your affiliates table and all the good stuff there.

Layout/Structure:

The layout of the forums and categories seems to be fine to me personally, and it does look organized. Some of your forums have very little posted in it for an RP forum, but seeing it be new I can understand why. Your site is easy to navigate on a desktop computer, and I am unsure about tablets or phones at this time.

Informational Topics: (In this section, provide feedback on the information topics, including the plot, rules, and any information about the setting. Are the information topics well-organized and easy to find? Are any important pieces of information unclear or missing? Is the information within each topic easy to read and free from errors?)

The rules were easy to read and to understand. I also didn't see very many typos at all on the rules section when I looked through it. I see the rules are collapsed which is a nice touch. The character creation guide also was clear to me if I applied on the site and made a character. The only thing is I'd require a avatar/graphics as it just comes off bland looking at the who's who area to me.

Everything else looked clear to me as a guest on the site, but still think requiring graphics is the way to go.

General Feedback: (In this section, provide any other feedback or comments you have for the site. Mention any other strengths and weaknesses you found, describe how those help or hinder the board, and provide any final suggestions for the site.)

The graphics requirement would at least make the site look a bit more presentable, honestly. It's super easy to understand get the site concept to me, and I'd join this site if I didn't have a bunch of other posts owed on other sites.

I'd also suggest getting a banner too from someone here on RPG-D! There are usually a lot of people who are willing to make a nice graphic.
Hello Darkness my old friend
Awards: 8

Aug 11 2018, 07:01 AM
Appearance: Obviously once you get a banner, I think the forum will have an wow factor. As it currently stands, I do find, from someone with visual impairment, a little challenging on the eyes. The white text upon dark back ground in vast quantity does hurt my eyes. Breaking up the text, or lessening the area descriptions may help, adding images.

Having to scroll down for category descriptions, not going to lie, am someone who won't do that and feel this information is important, and perhaps can be shorter, and then a file could contain this information to allow members to read.

Layout/Structure:

Yay for a link tab! This is such a huge help, especially for new members having to find important documents. However, upon clicking the links, my eyes phased out. The text colour inst helping me on the background, nor is the text size. However, everything is well organised and easy to find.

Informational Topics:

As mentioned above, I am finding the text challenging to read, however, I have to say, your species info on Angels is refreshingly clear. I am not sure if I missed it, but having a section for frequently asked questions or a place for people to ask questions would be hugely helpful.

I love your tabbed rules, this is so nice! Saves scrolling down a very long file on rules of the site.

With the rules, while you mention not discussing religion or politics, is your site LGBTQA friendly?

General Feedback: You can see the time and effort you have put into creating this world, and that speaks of a great writer and admin. However, take into consideration people with sight impairments, and also, would like to see some mention of your stance on preventing racial or sexual orientation slurs and bigotry.

--------------------
user posted image

Aug 12 2018, 07:49 PM
Hey guys, thank you for the feedback!

QUOTE (Futaba Sakura @ Aug 7 2018, 01:35 PM)
Appearance:

I see you're missing a banner and even just a default 100x100 icon upon viewing the site. I am guessing that has to be changed via when I register/login. The site is easy to read though which is great for people who cannot see very well. I see that finding links is easy. These should be shown to guests and members somewhere to view them with ease.

The site also loaded fast for me. I do like the font style and the black theme overall, though! The footer showed me your affiliates table and all the good stuff there.

Layout/Structure:

The layout of the forums and categories seems to be fine to me personally, and it does look organized. Some of your forums have very little posted in it for an RP forum, but seeing it be new I can understand why. Your site is easy to navigate on a desktop computer, and I am unsure about tablets or phones at this time.

Informational Topics: (In this section, provide feedback on the information topics, including the plot, rules, and any information about the setting.  Are the information topics well-organized and easy to find? Are any important pieces of information unclear or missing?  Is the information within each topic easy to read and free from errors?)

The rules were easy to read and to understand. I also didn't see very many typos at all on the rules section when I looked through it. I see the rules are collapsed which is a nice touch.  The character creation guide also was clear to me if I applied on the site and made a character.  The only thing is I'd require a avatar/graphics as it just comes off bland looking at the who's who area to me.

Everything else looked clear to me as a guest on the site, but still think requiring graphics is the way to go.

General Feedback: (In this section, provide any other feedback or comments you have for the site.  Mention any other strengths and weaknesses you found, describe how those help or hinder the board, and provide any final suggestions for the site.)

The graphics requirement would at least make the site look a bit more presentable, honestly. It's super easy to understand get the site concept to me, and I'd join this site if I didn't have a bunch of other posts owed on other sites.

I'd also suggest getting a banner too from someone here on RPG-D! There are usually a lot of people who are willing to make a nice graphic.

Haha, the default theme is my personal favorite out of them all. We technically aren't open yet, and we do plan on getting graphics before an actual opening as well. I'll also admit to mobile view being a bit of a mess right now as it's still a work in progress, just a matter of setting proper line heights and making text larger on some things, and cleaning up what's shown for mobile devices specifically. It's slow-going though as I'm making these changes blind as my phone is -old- and simply won't recognize the specific media queries I use, so I've been having my members be the guinea pigs so to speak.

QUOTE (Theogony @ Aug 7 2018, 11:01 PM)
Appearance: Obviously once you get a banner, I think the forum will have an wow factor. As it currently stands, I do find, from someone with visual impairment, a little challenging on the eyes. The white text upon dark back ground in vast quantity does hurt my eyes. Breaking up the text, or lessening the area descriptions may help, adding images.

Having to scroll down for category descriptions, not going to lie, am someone who won't do that and feel this information is important, and perhaps can be shorter, and then a file could contain this information to allow members to read.

Layout/Structure:

Yay for a link tab! This is such a huge help, especially for new members having to find important documents. However, upon clicking the links, my eyes phased out. The text colour inst helping me on the background, nor is the text size.  However, everything is well organised and easy to find.

Informational Topics:

As mentioned above, I am finding the text challenging to read, however, I have to say, your species info on Angels is refreshingly clear. I am not sure if I missed it, but having a section for frequently asked questions or a place for people to ask questions would be hugely helpful.

I love your tabbed rules, this is so nice! Saves scrolling down a very long file on rules of the site.

With the rules, while you mention not discussing religion or politics, is your site LGBTQA friendly?

General Feedback: You can see the time and effort you have put into creating this world, and that speaks of a great writer and admin. However, take into consideration people with sight impairments, and also, would like to see some mention of your stance on preventing racial or sexual orientation slurs and bigotry.

We have a light version of the skin as well. I'm also someone with a visual impairment as is my coadmin so we both use different skins (They're all the same structurally, just with a color difference. I myself can only read the darker layouts while the lighter ones give me migraines, but one of my friends is the opposite and my coadmin switches back and forth.)

We've actually been discussing the board descriptions as well. For Heaven and Hell especially some of those are quite long, it's just a matter of figuring out what we're going to do with them.

Yeah I find a proper "links" tab is a must. Saves so much time and effort on finding things. The accordion for the information pages was also done because I hate scrolling LOL

We actually don't have an FAQ but now that you mention it, it could be a good idea to throw in some of the main questions members might have. All of our lore is based off of what Tara has already published with her book(s) and she's generally tried to remain "realistic" and clear on what everything is though I imagine some things can be easily looked over as well.

We -are- LGBTQA+ friendly, but honestly if a site has to actually mention that in the rules I feel like it's just trying to cover it's rear and isn't truly friendly to the community. You either are friendly, or your not, saying that in the rules isn't going to change anything. OOCly we don't tolerate that sort of drama (goes along with being respectful of one another and while politics/religion was mentioned specifically, this applies to racism and others as well(, but ICly it's anything goes. We aren't our characters, after all. (And I am a sucker for IC drama)
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
Fast Reply